Latest figures show Scotland’s economy performing well when it comes to attracting foreign direct investment, second only to London within the UK. Scottish employment has also reached a record high, but annual growth in the Scottish economy is forecast to remain below 1% for the next five years.
Against the backdrop of global and national economic uncertainty and instability, what are the short- and long-term threats and opportunities for those doing business in Scotland?
Join leading Scottish integrated public affairs, PR and design agency, Orbit, in partnership with the Scottish Council for Development & Industry (SCDI) and PubAffairs to explore these issues.
This business breakfast event will be invaluable to business leaders and public affairs professionals with an existing presence in Scotland, as well as those who are considering doing business or investing north of the border.
The session will address questions such as:
- What is the current climate for investment in Scotland?
- What impact will policy divergence between Scotland and the rest of the UK have on Scotland’s economic performance now and in the future?
- What role will the Scottish Government have in post-Brexit UK trade policy, and what are the implications for export-dependent industries such as food & drink, manufacturing, and financial services?
- What needs to be done to improve prospects for economic growth in Scotland?
- What impact will the recently-published Growth Commission report have on the Scottish economy, the wider Scottish policy debate, and businesses operating in Scotland?
- Graeme Downie (Director, Orbit) has 15 years of public affairs experience, primarily in Scotland, but also with clients operating in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Brussels. Graeme has experience advising clients in sectors such as food & drink, culture, housing and higher and further education.
- Lord Andrew Dunlop (Board Member, SCDI) is a former Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at both the Scotland office and Northern Ireland Office.
- Sally Trethewie (Account Director, Orbit) is a strategic communications specialist with private sector, government, academic, and non-government organisation (NGO) experience. She relocated to Edinburgh last year after nearly 10 years in Singapore, where she worked in public affairs an international communications agency and for the Australian government.
Time: 8am (7.30am for breakfast rolls, coffee and networking) and finishing no later than 9.30am