The transatlantic economic relationship between the UK and the US is one of the world’s great economic success stories. Yet it is also in a time of change. Within the last two years, both the UK and the US have begun a path to re-define their trading relations with the world. Businesses on both sides need to adjust to these changes, but also take a leading role in grasping any opportunities that these changes present.
This is what we at BritishAmerican Business do. As a leading transatlantic business network, we convene leading and growing companies in the transatlantic corridor; we help our member companies navigate the ever-changing transatlantic business environment; and we help shape government policies in the interest of our members, whether it be on international trade or domestic policies that define the attractiveness of both the UK and the US as investment destinations.
As part of our growing ambition to be a voice of transatlantic business, we are looking for a (Senior) Manager, Policy & Government Affairs to join our team. Based in the BAB London office, the (Senior) Manager, Policy & Government Affairs will be primarily leading on BAB’s policy content production, as well as overseeing key components of BAB’s rapidly growing policy portfolio.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of transatlantic policy and government affairs work, the ability to write policy, a commercial and strategic mindset, an excitement for the things that are happening in the transatlantic trade and investment corridor, as well as an ambition for personal growth.
- Help to identify key areas of relevance to BAB and its members an offer detailed policy analysis and recommendations for policy makers;
- Lead on the production of regular commentaries, briefings, position papers and statements, reflecting policy matters of relevance to BAB and its membership;
- Lead on the production of a series of substantive ‘White Papers’ on issues impacting the UK/US trade and investment relationship;
- Benchmark: The successful candidate should be equipped and comfortable to write a policy ‘one-pager’ in one day and a comprehensive policy paper in a week;
- Lead on the production of the BAB Policy Agenda, BAB’s annual policy flagship publication, particularly on the written content but also support in identifying sponsorship for the product;
- Help to establish a structured policy engagement for BAB and its members around key themes as defined by the Policy Steering Committee and the annual Policy Agenda;
- Help and/or lead on creating events and programmes that support the production of content as well as use events and programme for content generation;
- Build and expand BAB’s, and your personal network of relevant stakeholders in government, businesses and other organisations;
- Build a strong rapport with key BAB members interested in the policy portfolio as well as creating a pipeline for prospective members through our policy work;
- Represent BAB at internal and external events, with the ability to speak publicly and to moderate events and meeting sessions;
- Provide counsel and support to the CEO, the Director of Policy & Trade and the wider teams in London and New York on current developments in policy matters of relevance to BAB;
- Develop and manage a budget and identify areas of engagement and growth for the policy portfolio, including bids for public grants and the attraction of sponsorship for events and publications.
- A genuine interest in transatlantic trade and investment policies;
- A Bachelor-level degree. An advanced degree is an additional asset;
- High-level of verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Strong analytical skills; combined with critical and creative thinking;
- A proven ability to read, understand, and most importantly, to write detailed policy papers on a range of topics in a short time;
- A proven track record of working in a policy role in a company or other business organisation;
- Ideally, an existing network of key stakeholders in UK/US Governments, businesses and other relevant stakeholders;
- Ability to engage with senior government and business leaders;
- Ability to speak publicly and to lead/moderate events/meetings;
- An openness to be active and visible on social media and in the media;
- An openness to engage in BAB’s portfolio outside the policy remit, e.g. business development, strategy and communication.
- High level of energy and enthusiasm;
- A personal drive to grow personally and professionally within the organisation;
- Passion for change and improvement;
- A team player who values collaboration and team spirit;
- Positive, proactive and solution-oriented;
- Low ego, with emotional maturity and patience;
- Drive to set and be an example for others.
- Director of Policy & Trade.
Please note: candidates need to be able to work in the UK.