BIVDA, the industry association for manufacturers and suppliers of in vitro diagnostic (IVD) tests, is looking to appoint an External Affairs Manager. This is an excellent opportunity to join a close-knit, driven group who work on behalf of their award-winning members. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working both independently and as an integral part of the team, including supervising an External Affairs Assistant.
The role offers the unique opportunity to work across public affairs, policy, and wider external communications. It would suit a confident individual who is perhaps moving into a managerial position and is passionate about improving the wider healthcare experience across the UK. As such, an interest in healthcare policy would be highly beneficial.
- Support the Chief Executive on matters of public affairs, policy and communications;
- Organise significant stakeholder activity, including meetings, workshops, forums and written submissions, taking responsibility for their success;
- Work closely with the Chief Executive in developing and implementing the BIVDA strategy for engaging with external stakeholders;
- Building effective working relationships with BIVDA’s partner organisations and stakeholders;
- Deputise for the Chief Executive at relevant meetings and conferences;
- Act as BIVDA’s representative at party conferences, to MPs and APPGs;
- Manage BIVDA’s social media activity;
- Write articles for BIVDA publications, and external magazines;
- Develop BIVDA policy positions;
- Communicate policy developments to the membership;
- Ensure relevant content is displayed on the website;
- Main point of contact for public affairs enquiries;
- Assist with communications with trade press and media as required;
- Manage the External Affairs Assistant.
Necessary knowledge and skills:
- A strong understanding of UK parliamentary procedure and policy formation;
- Excellent written and verbal skills- particularly the ability to disseminate highly technical information to a wide range of audiences;
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to actively engage individuals at all levels in both political and industry positions;
- An understanding of the NHS, healthcare policy, and the challenges facing the industry would be highly beneficial;
- A great sense of camaraderie and dedication to a wider team;
- The ability to pitch-in and work across the organisation as needed;
- Prior experience with membership management would also be an advantage.