This position is permanent, based in London on site at EDF Energy.
EDF Energy, one of the UK’s largest energy companies and the largest producer of low-carbon electricity, is looking for an external communications manager with experience working on high profile consumer issues.
The role will be responsible for delivering the public affairs and stakeholder engagement programme for the customer business at EDF Energy. This is a varied role that will see the candidate supporting on government and stakeholder relations, with some additional support in media relations and digital activity when required. It will cover a number of interesting and high profile topics and campaigns, including energy pricing, the smart meter programme, energy efficiency programmes, and skills and education.
The External Communications manager will need proven experience in working in an issues led, high profile and political environment, and will have strong experience in public affairs, with a good understanding of the media and consumer affairs.
They will work closely with the wider communications team, including digital and brand, business unit leads, and our external agencies to provide integrated communications support to include:
- Support for the delivery of a coordinated communications plan aligned to the strategic priorities of EDF Energy;
- Responding to political, media and corporate issues affecting EDF Energy;
- Maintaining excellent relations with relevant external stakeholders, including politicians, stakeholders, relevant consumer groups and media;
- Act as a key contact for leaders within the customer business providing counsel on external issues.
Nature and Scope of Role:
This role reports to the Senior External Communications Manager – Customers. It sits within of the Communications Directorate within Strategy and Corporate Affairs and is part of a wider external communications team, designed to provide flexible support in both media relations and public affairs with the whole team able to deliver the best possible service.
Key relationships include:
- Senior managers and leaders within the EDF Energy Customer business;
- The Senior External Communications Managers and Head of External Communications;
- Subject matter experts within the business, including in policy and regulation;
- Political contacts, stakeholders, consumer groups and national and regional media.
The External Communications Manager will escalate issues as appropriate to the Senior External Communications Managers or the Head of External Communications, and will make recommendations and suggest solutions on communications issues.
The External Communications manager will:
- Be based at our head office with regular travel to our customer sites in Hove and Croydon. There may be additional occasional travel to EDF Energy offices and sites as required by the business;
- Work closely with other External Communications manager in the External Communications team to share skills and provide a 24/7 external communications operation.
- Support the Senior External Communications Manager for Customers in delivering the strategic external communications plan for the Customers Business, working closely with the Customers external communications team;
- Provide advice and guidance on external communications issues, with a focus on political and stakeholder activity, to the various areas of EDF Energy Customers, identifying risks and pro-actively protecting the company’s reputation;
- Support the delivery of the company’s public affairs strategy with a focus on customers’ parliamentary and legislative issues e.g. prices, smart metering, energy efficiency, and ensure appropriate monitoring and internal distribution of political developments in relation to customer issues;
- Deliver effective stakeholder engagement and speaker programmes for senior executives within the customer business, proactively highlighting opportunities that support the strategic communications plan;
- Manages regular communication with customer site MPs;
- Represent the company at meetings and events with political stakeholders including at party political conferences and at relevant parliamentary groups – e.g. Fuel Poverty, Debt;
- Support the wider external communications team to ensure a consistent and timely response to MP enquiries, and on occasion media enquiries;
- Contribute to effective management of the retained agencies and develop strong working relationships with key consumer and internal stakeholders;
- Promote the integration of social media within all external communications activity and take a role in improving content on consumer issues;
- Provide occasional support as required on issues affecting the EDF Energy Generation business;
- Participation in the out of hours duty press office rota providing a 24-hour on-call media response (c. around one week in seven on out of hours press rota).