The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is an international membership organisation that promotes and advances civil engineering around the world. ICE is a qualifying body, a centre for the exchange of specialist knowledge, and a provider of resources to encourage innovation and excellence in the profession worldwide.
We are recruiting for an External Relations Executive to deliver public affairs strategies, produce high quality policy material and develop and maintain key relationships in government, infrastructure and engineering to help achieve ICE London & South East England’s policy and public affairs goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and develop relationships with regional and local government to assist the region in influencing policy development and implementation, reflecting ICE’s position and priorities for infrastructure;
- To raise the profile and impact of the ICE through initiatives such as awards and site visits that engage members and stakeholders such as MPs, London Assembly Members, LEPs and Local Authorities;
- To write speeches and briefings for major events;
- To produce high-quality policy material and events to support ICE London & South East’s public affairs and knowledge transfer activities;
- Create material for distribution through internal and member communications channels to inform parties of public affairs successes;
- Use social media channels to promote key ICE policy positions and successes;
- To assist with engaging the public in civil engineering and ICE activities;
- To provide essential PR support for other ICE activities.
What are we looking for?
Candidates should be highly motivated and organised with a strong interest in public affairs and government. Knowledge of London and South East England Local Enterprise Partnerships would also be beneficial. The candidate will have excellent writing and proofing skills, scrupulous eye for detail and have significant experience of writing press releases, speeches and policy documents.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working with senior figures in politics, the civil service and/or the construction industry. They will have experience of media relations, social media and building relationships with key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be able to manage a varied and demanding workload and work independently. They will have the ability to engage and motivate volunteers and staff, and optimise limited resources. The post requires project management skills to deliver policy and public affairs outputs and a working knowledge of the MS Office Suite.
ICE Group benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave;
- Up to eight per cent of salary contributed to a personal pension scheme;
- 24 hour employee support line;
- Death in service benefit equivalent to one year’s salary;
- Childcare vouchers;
- Interest free season ticket loan;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Big Gym membership savings with the Gymflex scheme.