A highly influential professional body spanning the transport, infrastructure and digital sectors is looking for a Public Affairs Manager for a 12-month fixed-term contract starting ASAP.
The successful candidate will create and deliver effective public affairs campaigns in conjunction with other communications activity and translate the organisation's policy positions into effective communications messages. Developing and maintaining relationships with key influencers will be a central part of this activity.
- Establish and lead delivery of public affairs strategy, identifying key upcoming issues and aligning policy outputs to meet key events;
- Line management of the Public Affairs Assistant;
- Enhancing the organisation's reputation as leading source of expert knowledge and information on infrastructure issues to inform and influence national and regional Government policy;
- Monitoring government and parliamentary affairs related to the organisation in order to advise key stakeholders of impact and regional actions;
- Project manage the delivery and launch of major reports and submissions, including State of the Nation (an annual initiative), thought leader pieces, budget submissions, manifestos;
- Working with Policy Team to identify and co-ordinate submissions to parliamentary Select Committee inquiries;
- Advise and support the provision of written and oral briefings to parliament and political parties;
- Create and maintain Policy Briefing Papers for use with governmental bodies on all key areas of policy relevant to the organisation;
- Provide secretariat to All Party Parliamentary Group on Infrastructure and deliver full programme of events and site visits;
- Acting as an interface and building strong relationships with civil servants, parliamentary researchers and key political party contacts;
- Support the President, Director General and senior Vice Presidents by writing speeches;
- Manage budgets for events and party conference programme to ensure fringes are delivered to a high quality and on-budget;
- Seek and deliver financial support from other bodies to enable greater levels of public affairs activity.
You will have a strong interest in and knowledge of current affairs, UK political processes and issues combined with a strong ability to turn technical material into non-technical outputs. You will have excellent written and oral communications skills, proven speech writing skills and project and budget management experience.