Why Teach First?
Here at Teach First we believe how much you achieve in life should not be determined by how much your parents earn. Yet in the UK, it too often is. We believe in the power of education to change this. We are an education charity working with others to give every child the right to a decent education.
What will you be doing?
You will play a key role in raising awareness of educational disadvantage and Teach First’s role in addressing it. You will develop and implement strategies to raise awareness of our work, position Teach First as a leading voice on education issues and help influence policy and public attitudes. This role will include developing and implementing media strategies, media messaging and statements while building and maintaining stakeholder relationships.
What makes you the ideal candidate?
Firstly, commitment to delivering results and chasing opportunities and setting ambitious targets.
We are also looking for experience in the following areas:
- Develop and implement media strategies that raise awareness of our work amongst the public and policy influencers;
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists including in education sector, national and regional outlets;
- Develop media messaging, statements, briefings and FAQs;
- Secure and develop case studies to help promote our work in the media and through other channels;
- Monitor external events and policy debates, and use these to promote our work and/or policy positions;
- Identify opportunities and support senior staff to speak to the media and to take part in interviews, including through briefings and training.
Essential skills and experience:
- Experience of communicating complex policy issues through the media;
- Knowledge of the education sector media and journalists;
- Experience of developing and delivering media stories and securing significant media coverage;
- Experience identifying and responding to external events to secure media coverage;
- A strong news sense, and an understanding of the political and policy landscape;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, across a variety of audiences;
- Commitment to delivering results, chasing opportunities and setting ambitious targets;
- Experience of reputation and/or crisis management and dealing with hostile stakeholders;
- Commitment to Teach First’s vision of ending educational inequality.
What will you get?
- The opportunity to learn from a skilled and dedicated team and develop your skillset;
- An agile working environment;
- A range of benefits that Teach First has to offer including medical insurance, agile working, cycle to work schemes and much more.