There has never been a more compelling time to join the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra). We have a large and wide-ranging suite of responsibilities. Everything we do is aimed at creating a cleaner, healthier environment, a world-leading food and farming industry, a thriving rural economy and robust defences against natural threats and hazards all across the UK.
This involving work will only increase in complexity as the nation moves closer to leaving the EU. Join us as we take a lead in delivering this once-in-a-generation change, and your work will have far-reaching influence.
Right now, we are looking for Team Leaders for two important teams.
As Team Leader of the Global Trade Negotiations team you will:
- Lead on shaping Defra’s negotiation positions for trade agreements with non-EU countries;
- Consider Defra’s position on existing EU trade agreements which are to be transitioned;
- Help to inform brand new agreements which will be developed by the UK;
- Work closely with policy leads to formulate strategy on complex issues.
Alternatively, as Team Leader of the EU Strategy and Negotiations team you will:
- Lead on pursuing Defra’s priorities for the UK’s future relationship with the EU;
- Analyse the negotiability of Defra’s objectives, with a focus on agri-food, environment, fisheries or Ireland;
- Help to ensure that a coordinated approach to strategy and negotiations is taken across Defra;
- Champion flexible working, so your team can adapt to changing priorities.
Both posts call for the ability to grasp the big picture, make effective decisions and lead people to deliver results in a fast-paced environment. Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach are vital. Some international travel will be required.
In return for your commitment, we promise to support your professional and personal wellbeing. Our benefits include generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, salary sacrifice benefit options, and an employee discount scheme. We also offer flexible working, and a variety of learning and development opportunities through the Civil Service Learning site.