There has never been a more compelling time to join the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra). We are immersed in an exciting period of change. Our work ranges from supporting the UK’s world-leading food, farming and fishing industries to protecting the environment and engineering the nation’s defences against natural threats and hazards.
Leaving the EU will fundamentally transform the work we do and how we deliver it. We’re embracing this opportunity to become even more efficient, focused and innovative. Join us, and you will be at the heart of this agenda. You will help us to secure a more sustainable future for the UK and the people who call it home.
Right now, we are looking for two excellent communicators to join our our EU Strategy and Negotiations team.
As Policy Advisor EU Negotiations: Withdrawal Agreement you will:
- Work in the team that is leading Defra’s input into the negotiation of the UK Withdrawal Agreement;
- Coordinate our work on withdrawal negotiations in a specific policy area;
- Work closely with policy teams, lawyers and other experts to draw together information;
- Help to develop an analytical tool to support the negotiations.
Alternatively, as Policy Advisor EU Engagement and Influencing, you will:
- Work in a new team that is leading on EU engagement and influencing for Defra;
- Take the lead on several projects;
- Focus on supporting the attendance of Ministers and senior officials at key EU-relevant events;
- Proactively identify or create opportunities to influence negotiations effectively.
In either role you will work at a fast pace, adapting to a changing programme of work while maintaining a rounded understanding of the big picture. You will need the ability to recognise patterns and trends in a wide range of data and outline clear conclusions - from costs and risks, to benefits and potential responses.
In return for your commitment, we promise to support your professional and personal wellbeing. Our benefits include generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, salary sacrifice benefit options, and an employee discount scheme. We also offer flexible working, and a variety of learning and development opportunities through the Civil Service Learning site.