The Department of Health (DH) helps people to live healthier lives for longer. We help our ministers to shape and deliver policy that delivers the Government of the day’s objectives making sure people have the support, care and treatment they need, with the compassion, respect and dignity they deserve.
What are we offering?
We are now seeking up to 20 talented individuals to lead the Departments policy making agenda, and work on tackling policy issues that are vital to all of us.
What are my responsibilities?
The exact work will depend on what policy area you work in. However, in general as a Grade 7 Policy Lead you can expect to:
- Lead a discrete policy area or project, developing options for progressing this work, often under challenging timescales. This will include developing high quality policy analysis for ministers and senior leaders;
- Co-produce policy solutions with a range of stakeholders, taking on external views to develop high quality evidence and assess deliverability, whilst advocating the department’s position and reconciling different stakeholders’ priorities;
- Develop strong relationships with our ALB partners and other government departments, to ensure a proactive and planned approach to policy making;
- Take all major decisions affecting the direction and delivery of the work area, assessing risk and advising on mitigation. This can include assessing the consequences of policy changes, internally and externally;
- Project manage key work strands to contribute to successful delivery of policy objectives, being accountable for the performance of policy area and developing work programmes that use resources effectively;
- Ensure the delivery of high quality Parliamentary and private office business: Parliamentary questions, briefings, speeches and media lines;
- Be alert to emerging developments and trends that may impact on own policy area.
In all roles you will be called upon to represent the Department at meetings with internal and external stakeholders and other departments. These roles will give you significant exposure to Ministers. You may also have line management responsibilities for a small number of staff.
What we are looking for
You will be able to articulate complex and/or sensitive issues clearly and persuasively – both orally and in writing – and be comfortable dealing with ambiguity. You should be able to work flexibly and effectively within a team, as well as individually.
Successful applicants will have:
- Excellent drafting skills, with the ability to use different styles as appropriate;
- Proven ability to engage and build relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including at senior levels;
- The ability to absorb and analyse a wide range of evidence, in order to make effective decisions and recommendations;
- A track record of successfully managing a challenging workload and delivering successful outcomes;
- The ability to understand how own work area fits into the big picture, and how they contribute to delivering DH’s priorities;
- The ability to grasp and deliver tasks quickly and effectively.