Working for the Crime, Policing and Fire Group
Crime, Policing and Fire Group (CPFG) ensures the police, fire and rescue and other public services can keep citizens safe, cut crime and protect vulnerable people. The challenges and opportunities we face are many and change rapidly. This makes it one of the most exciting and stimulating areas of Government policy to work in. Our careers are rewarding, attracting people from all backgrounds and walks of life. There is no such thing as a 'typical' member of the CPFG team.
The Role of a Policy Manager
You will shape the Government’s response to public safety and ensure there is a capability to deliver it. You will lead your team to develop policy where there is high political contention and be responsible for delivery of high quality advice to ministers, senior leaders in the Home Office and other partners.
You should be able to think strategically and consider how your team’s work can deliver the right outcomes. You will need to be comfortable collaborating with a range of people at both junior and senior levels. You will have the ability to learn quickly, think, present and write clearly and demonstrate understanding of complex information to others. It will be necessary to work flexibly as priorities can change rapidly. You will need to be confident building relationships with your team and be able to support them through timely and effective coaching so they can develop to their full potential.
You will need to demonstrate:
- Experience in the development and/or implementation of legislation, government or social policy;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. This means you can formulate evidenced based recommendations or policies that effectively respond to strategic objectives or priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills. This means you can demonstrate influencing stakeholders at a senior and junior level;
- Experience of line management or developing individuals and teams to get the best out of people to achieve the delivery of key outcomes; and
- Experience of working in a changing environment and planning, collaborating, and delivering through others, to both short and longer term deadlines.