Working as part of a talented and creative team located across GB, you will deliver a dynamic programme of communications, events and reports to further the aims of Smart Energy GB and encourage the uptake of smart meters.
Reporting to the Policy and Public Affairs Manager, you will support the delivery of our policy programme, helping to ensure that Smart Energy GB effectively influences policy in relation to smart meters, and energy policy. You will help us to shape our policy positions and recommend on how best to deliver them.
The Policy Officer, under the direction of their manager, will lead on agreed policy projects against set timescales and objectives. These projects will deliver high-quality and well evidenced policy positions that clearly articulate Smart Energy GB’s policy on a given area and are amplified to the appropriate audiences.
You will also be expected to build and maintain strong networks and contacts to ensure the organisation’s policy positions are well rounded and considered within the context of external policy activity.
The role reports to the Policy and Public Affairs Manager.
Key tasks / responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Policy and Public Affairs Manager, deliver work programmes and undertake projects to develop policy positions as agreed with senior management;
- Analysing data and research to identify trends, stories and inform policy development o Monitoring the policy landscape and writing quick turnaround briefings to inform and advise colleagues of the evolving policy environment;
- Developing policy positions in partnership with key colleagues, to support public affairs, media and campaigns, including responses to breaking news;
- Work closely with colleagues in across all locations (London, Edinburgh & Cardiff) to ensure co-ordination of outreach and messages for GB-wide audiences;
- Support meetings with external organisations and parliamentarians as well as providing briefing for senior colleagues ahead of strategic stakeholder meetings as required;
- Attend and represent Smart Energy GB and third-party events for political and stakeholder audiences.
- The role may involve a certain amount of travel within Great Britain and occasional evening and weekend working.
Skills, experience and competencies
- Good knowledge of the workings and dynamics of the UK Parliament, Whitehall departments and third sector organisations as well as a working knowledge of GB’s devolved national and regional/local governments;
- Experience writing policy reports which are based on evidence, sound research and are considerate of the wider political environment;
- Experience of monitoring political and policy landscape to provide insight to an organisation or campaign;
- Excellent drafting skills, attention to detail and quality control throughout written work. o Excellent political judgment and stakeholder management;
- Flexible team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to own professional development and seeking out best practice from other organisations;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal/writing);
- Appreciation of the objectives and activities of Smart Energy GB;
- Appreciate the diversity of the people and communities of Great Britain and embrace this diversity in your approach to work;
- Knowledge of energy policy in GB (desirable but not essential).