The Whitehouse Consultancy is looking for an experienced political consultant with detailed knowledge of EU politics and, ideally, some knowledge of British politics and the UK parliamentary systems.
The successful candidate will lead on activity and strategy for clients, including those in the food, nutrition, health and technology sectors. An overview of our clients in this sector that the successful candidate will be working on can be found on the Whitehouse website.
- Providing detailed guidance to clients on the interplay between a variety of European laws in the food and nutrition sector in particular, together with other sectors as appropriate;
- Liaising with political stakeholders, statutory and non-statutory bodies;
- Analysing and briefing clients, and the wider Whitehouse team, on developments in the Brexit process;
- Supporting engagement throughout the Brexit negotiations;
- Attending client meetings with European Commission officials, European Parliamentarians, their equivalents in the UK, and other Member State officials;
- Ensuring that you are informed and engaged with issues in the sector affecting clients;
- Leading on activity for specific clients; independently managing day-to-day tasks and actions required to service client accounts; providing the day to day point of contact for clients;
- Drafting and overseeing the production and quality control of written correspondence, briefings, research, meeting packs and reports, public policy position statements and target lists of elected representatives and officials;
- Supporting internal communications, in particular where our role is to provide Secretariat services to a trade body or other coalition of companies and organisations;
- Understanding the commercial needs of a communications agency and supporting new business development.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject;
- Experience in a political and public policy making role in Brussels, Westminster, Whitehall, think tanks, NGOs or the private sector;
- Good working knowledge of the legislative and political process in the EU and the UK;
- Presenting to internal and external audiences;
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office packages;
- Fluent in English and a second European language (preferred);
- An enthusiasm for politics and a desire to work in public affairs.
- Knowledge of food and nutrition and technology sectors within the EU;
- Knowledge of other languages.