We’re looking for a Public Affairs Adviser to help maintain the Association’s effective and influential profile in Westminster and Whitehall.
Join the ABI as we navigate Brexit and you will join a busy team at a high profile trade association, delivering effective parliamentary engagement and political intelligence on key policy areas affecting one of the UK’s biggest and most successful industries. With your finger on the pulse of UK politics, an enthusiasm for hard work and an ambition to build your experience in public affairs, this could be the role for you.
Reporting to the Public Affairs Manager, you will help maintain an effective and influential profile for the Association, with a wider range of stakeholders including members of both Houses of Parliament in the UK as well politicians in the devolved bodies in Scotland and Wales.
By joining our Advocacy Directorate, you will work in collaboration with the Public Affairs Manager to coordinate briefings for Parliamentary debates, and manage high profile events such as the ABI Party conference activity.
Day to day you will:
- Work proactively with the Public Affairs Manager and Head of Public Affairs, in delivering effective parliamentary engagement and legislative monitoring on key policy areas affecting ABI members;
- Influence future policy and legislation through engagement and negotiation;
- Prepare and communicate high-quality and concisely articulated materials for internal and external audiences; including briefings ahead of Parliamentary debates, responding to Parliamentary Questions and Early Day Motions, and co-ordinating the ABI’s work on legislation and Select Committee Inquiries;
- Co-ordinate and implement programmes of engagement with parliamentarians and stakeholders;
- Work with other colleagues in the Public Affairs team and monitoring agencies to ensure ABI staff receive relevant, accurate political information in real time and to proactively respond to developments in Parliament and Whitehall;
- Develop constructive relationships with key stakeholders including parliamentarians, government officials and member representatives.
We’re looking for:
We’re looking for someone confident, adaptable, and able to work with people at all levels and play and integral role within a busy team. You’ll need strong analytical and organisational abilities, combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience of working in complex stakeholder environments.
In return, you’ll be working at the heart of the organisation’s advocacy work, representing the ABI and wider industry in parliament and Whitehall on a broad range of issues that are crucial to our members, the industry and the wider UK economy.