A regulatory policy manager’s core responsibilities are in the following areas:
- Reviewing ongoing market and government policy developments;
- Gathering and assessment of evidence of risks and issues to be addressed;
- Helping to devise the annual policy work programme;
- Mobilising support and resources – both internal and external – to deliver the work programme;
- Developing options to address identified risks and issues;
- Advising on and contributing to internal and external research.
Reviewing and improving regulator performance
- Assessing regulators’ activity across a number of areas;
- Monitoring regulators’ performance to identify areas for improvement;
- Challenging and supporting regulators in developing and delivering standards of regulation that meet the principles of better regulation;
- Undertaking specific thematic reviews or investigations.
The person that we are looking for will have the following:
- Broad experience of policy development and/or regulation and an ability to apply it to legal services regulation;
- Experience of driving intellectually complex issues to a firm, practical conclusion;
- Excellent drafting skills – previous experience of writing complex policy analysis and consultation documents in an accessible manner;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to build and maintain complex, sensitive and influential relationships across a wide group of stakeholders;
- An ability to define and deliver approaches to intelligence and evidence gathering to support policy development, identifying and deploying relevant evidence;
- Strong commitment to equalities and diversity as both a colleague and a regulator;
- Good organisational and computer skills, including use of MS Office suite;
- Strong team player;
- Strong project management skills;
- Experience of leadership of teams – either line management or project teams.