Newington (formerly known as Bellenden) is a multi-award winning public and corporate affairs agency. In just ten years we have grown into the fifth biggest public affairs consultancy in the UK and created one of the strongest and most dynamic communications offers of its kind, with more than 50 consultants operating out of our offices in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Chelmsford.
Due to extensive growth and new business wins in our Chelmsford office, we are currently recruiting for an ambitious and commercially minded individual who is looking to help us drive our ambitious growth.
The Local division provides political and public affairs support to clients on a local and regional level and specialises in the development, energy and devolution sectors.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who has the right attitude, determination and above all passion for political communications.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be graduate level or equivalent;
- Have a demonstrable knowledge of and enthusiasm for business, campaigns and politics;
- Have proven experience working in political, policy or communication fields;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills;
- Have excellent research and organisational skills;
- Possess a professional eye for detail;
- Be a friendly and enthusiastic team player;
- Have demonstrable knowledge of the East of England;
- Membership of a political party whilst not essential would be preferable.
The role will require you to:
- Develop a detailed understanding of your clients and their operating environments;
- Undertake political and issue-led research;
- Learn to assess the relevance and motivations of different stakeholders;
- Develop your communication and influence skills;
- Help to deliver targeted engagement programmes and to coordinate events;
- With guidance, develop position papers and policy documents;
- Utilise print, broadcast, digital and social media as part of integrated campaigns;
- Start to identify and pursue new business opportunities;
- Help to deliver community engagement programmes on behalf of clients;
- Some evening and weekend work will be required. Newington has a comprehensive ‘Time Off in Lieu’ policy for such occurrences.