Our client is a leading UK membership body representing members in an innovative and high-profile industry. Brexit, energy and environment, technology and trade are among the areas of interest for them, and now is an exciting time to be joining the policy team.
- To manage all aspects of policy development (research, member consultation, drafting, communication & archiving), leading on developing positions, consultation responses and briefings in liaison with members, other departments and stakeholders;
- To lead on specific policy issues and subjects across all areas of relevance to the sector as required;
- To ensure team delivery of accurate and timely political/policy monitoring, analysis and regular briefings on all relevant industry issues for members and across the organisation;
- Ensure effective communication of all policy documents, regular newsletters and briefings including their internal and external dissemination;
- To proactively input attend, present to and support all relevant committees/sections on policy developments as required; and with external and industry stakeholders;
- Support and lead on ad hoc research projects and events;
- Represent the organisation in internal and external activities and meetings as required.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
- Government affairs professional with graduate (ideally post-graduate) degree in UK or EU politics, international relations, economics or other relevant disciplines;
- Proven professional experience in UK and EU public affairs and policy development, gained in a corporate, political or consultancy environment, trade association or government department;
- Excellent knowledge of political processes (UK/EU), a high awareness of the domestic and international political context, and a firm grasp of key public policy issues affecting the transport, automotive, energy or engineering industry;
- Strong analytical, presentation, people skills and written skills;
- Proven high-level representation experience;
- Experienced in compiling accurate and reliable reports, position papers and presentations to deadlines;
- Evidence of good time management, job prioritising skills and project management experience;
- Highly motivated professional team player, eager to learn and contribute to policy development and relationship management in a small team context and with broader teams;
- Sound political judgement, diplomatic and loyal, able to gain full confidence of senior colleagues.