The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
About the role
The ECF’s UK Programme is currently accepting applications for an experienced and highly driven individual to perform the role of Strategic Communications Manager, UK.
Working closely with the Programme’s portfolio of grantees and strategic partners, the successful candidate will navigate the complex political enviornmentment to help advance momentum around the low-carbon transition in the UK. He/she will build narratives that open entrenched positions and develop structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging opportunities.
This is an exciting opportunity for a brilliant and thoughtful strategist with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the ambition to make a difference, to play an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition in the UK and helping avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
Please note that we are currently recruiting for both a Strategic Communications Associate and Strategic Communications Manager role. These roles will work closely together but require different levels of experience and expertise. Candidates are advised to read both job descriptions to better understand the context and identify the role for which they would be the most suitable applicant.
Duties and responsibilities
The Strategic Communications Manager, UK will be responsible for:
- Developing a climate communications strategy for the UK covering key institutions and sectors;
- Collaborating with the ECF’s portfolio of grantees and strategic partners to deliver the materials, stories, voices and messaging to support this strategy;
- Identifying and planning communications campaigns and activities that advance narratives and ensure climate ambition is maintained during complex Brexit negotiations;
- Collaborating with ECF Programme staff to ensure strategic communications is incorporated into all UK grant-making;
- Acting as a source of expertise on political communications to the UK climate community and ensuring ECF priority projects are effectively communicated to target audiences in the UK;
- Working hand-in hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition (and with the network’s UK lead in particular);
- Maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in the UK and working proactively with media contacts to shape the reporting around ECF priority issues;
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting (including some financial and administrative tasks).
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- Extensive experience of professional communications, including some experience in political campaigning;
- A brilliant strategist with strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of British and international policy-making;
- A proven ability to independently develop and implement robust communications plans;
- Strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials for the UK media market;
- Existing relationships with UK journalists or demonstrating the ability to build these swiftly;
- Strong vision, confidence and a proven ability to bring others along on collective strategies;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written).
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a 24-months fixed term contract (with possibility to extend);
- A competitive salary.