We’re looking for a Public Affairs Assistant to join our External Affairs team. This is a brand new role at the ABI and exciting opportunity for anyone with a passion for politics and an interest beyond Westminster.
You’ll be working alongside the Head of Public Policy on the ABI’s public affairs work in the devolved nations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It’s a varied and fast-paced role with the opportunity to show your talents for policy analysis on behalf of ABI members and colleagues; producing ABI submissions for parliaments and governments; engaging with Ministers, their officials and with Members of the Scottish Parliament, Senedd and Northern Ireland Assembly.
Sounds like a dream job but taking you out of your comfort zone? Don’t worry – we can offer you the training and support to get you up to speed.
Please note we are open to applications from those who wish to work on a flexible and/or job share basis. The successful candidate will be expected to work primarily from Edinburgh with some travel to our London office from time to time; there is some flexibility on home location. However, due to COVID-19, we’re currently working from home.
We want you to play your part and bring your ideas to the ABI’s public affairs work across the devolved nations including:
- Analysing policies and legislation relevant to insurance and long-term savings from the Scottish and Welsh Governments and Northern Ireland Executive;
- Engaging with Ministers and their officials in the three devolved administrations, and with Members of the Scottish Parliament, Senedd and Northern Ireland Assembly;
- Producing and presenting research and information for ABI member firms on insurance and long-term savings issues in the devolved nations;
- Preparing briefing notes for senior colleagues in advance of meetings with key stakeholders;
- Contributing to the ABI’s response to government and parliamentary consultations and enquiries;
- Monitoring and summarising meetings of the Scottish Parliament, Senedd and Northern Ireland Assembly to brief members on relevant updates;
- Working with wider ABI colleagues to help them understand policy work in the devolved nations in relation to UK-level issues;
- Leading the preparation of member newsletters, co-ordinate responses to MP letters and inquiries and undertaking political research.
We’re looking for:
- A passion for working in policy, politics and communications and curiosity to learn more;
- The knowledge to explain politics and governance across the devolved nations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and how they relate to UK Parliament and Government;
- The skillset to explain, tell stories and excite other people’s interest in public affairs, insurance and long-term savings;
- An organised approach to your work with an attention to detail that demonstrates your high standards;
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to engage with people at all levels;
- An enthusiastic “can-do” attitude and a willingness to adapt to changing work demands and priorities.
The Association of British Insurers is the voice of the UK’s world-leading insurance and long-term savings industry. A productive and inclusive sector, our industry supports towns and cities across Britain in building back a balanced and innovative economy, employing over 300,000 individuals in high-skilled, lifelong careers, two-thirds of which are outside of London.
The UK insurance industry manages investments of over £1.7 trillion, pays nearly £12bn in taxes to the Government and supports communities across the UK by enabling trade, risk-taking, investment and innovation. We are also a global success story, the largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
The ABI represents over 200 member companies, including most household names and specialist providers, giving peace of mind to customers across the UK.