When meeting us, you’ll quickly discover that the best thing about the ABI is the people. We’re hugely proud that 100% of our people feel colleagues within their team respect each other. If that sounds like your kind of culture, read on to find out how you can join us.
We are open to flexible, part time and/or job share working – please let us know if this would be your preference. We’re currently working in a hybrid way with at least 40% of time in the office.
We’re looking for an Assistant Director, Head of Protection and Health to lead the strategy, development and promotion of ABI policy and technical proposals on protection and health insurance. You’ll represent the collective interests of the health and protection insurance industry and their customers to the Government, Parliament, and other stakeholders. Please note this is 12-month maternity cover contract.
What’s the job?
- Lead the ABI’s operational relationship with the Department of Health and Social Care and the Independent Health Providers Network;
- Put forward policy positions to the Government to inform their policy formation process on issues including the future of genetic testing, mental health, critical illness, product distribution, patient safety and health outcomes;
- Provide strategic oversight of Government and regulatory initiatives impacting on the health and protection market;
- Represent the interests of the UK’s health and protection markets with key stakeholders (Government, regulators, the third sector), in the media, and by speaking at conferences and events;
- Lead the work of the Health and Protection Board, ensuring members can provide strategic direction on all of the issues in the Board’s Business Plan to ensure that we can advance credible positions which reflect the views of members and the impact on consumers;
- Develop and motivate a small, high-performing team.
What skills do you need?
- Leadership - you can manage, develop and retain a team to deliver work across a broad range of objectives;
- Policy - you easily digest large quantities of detailed material and present it in a way that is easily understood by all;
- Lobbying and influencing - you can win the confidence of senior people and argue persuasively to deliver strategic objectives;
- Strategic thinking - you identify and act on emerging opportunities, challenges and risks;
- Relationship management - you work collaboratively and build relationships with decision makers and colleagues, both on a human level and to advance the ABI’s policy asks.