The Whitehouse Consultancy is looking for a highly-motivated and enthusiastic associate consultant to join its fast-growing EU team.
The Whitehouse Consultancy specialises in integrated communications campaigns across public affairs, policy analysis, media relations and crisis communications to engage with decision makers in Brussels, Westminster, Whitehall and the devolved institutions and shape the issues agenda. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual with a keen interest and experience in EU politics and public affairs to develop its career in a leading public affairs and communications consultancy at the heart of the discussions on the future of the future relationship between the UK and the EU.
The safety of our staff is of outmost importance. In an effort to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, our team is currently working remotely. The selected candidate will however be required to be located in the UK.
- Monitoring European Institutions work, consultations, calls for evidence and press releases and highlighting issues of relevance for clients, circulating information internally as appropriate and advising on next steps;
- Advising team members and clients on relevant developments and forthcoming policy or regulatory changes;
- Responsibility for researching and drafting weekly or regular update documents and emails to clients, and seeing through agreed action as required;
- Responsibility for monthly or quarterly reports and other client reporting where appropriate;
- Preparing and updating stakeholder lists and acting as a central reference point for all databases and contact lists;
- Preparing background notes, detailed briefings, reports, articles, research papers and consultation responses for clients in discussion with the consultants;
- Drafting correspondence to MEPs, Commission officials and Member State competent authorities and chasing for responses;
- Scheduling meetings or conference calls between MEPs, officials and clients, and preparing briefing packs ahead of meetings;
- Arranging events such as seminars, webinars and roundtable discussions;
- Attending and providing reports on relevant external meetings;
- Attending client meetings with MEPs or officials alongside consultants, account managers or director level staff, recording notes and follow up actions, participating in discussions and advising the client as appropriate;
- Supporting internal communications where our role is to provide Secretariat services to a trade body or other coalition of companies and organisations;
- Contributing to the development of client strategies and new business where appropriate;
- Joint responsibility for administration tasks in conjunction with other staff members;
- Any other tasks as required.
Background and qualifications
- Graduated in a relevant field such as European studies, Political Science or other relevant field;
- Demonstrable experience within the European Institutions and/or in a Public Affairs role;
- Language skills: Excellent spoken and written English (Native-speaker level or equivalent) any other languages are considered an asset;
- The ability to understand and digest complex information quickly and effectively;
- Sound interest in food, health and digital related policies at European and UK level;
- Experience of providing a legislative monitoring service;
- Experience analysing EU legislation;
- The ability to manage and prioritise own workload;
- Good writing skills and willingness to contribute to Whitehouse own PR via blogs, research and social media activity;
- Proactive and dynamic person with excellent personal skills;
- Flexible work attitude, hands-on mentality, able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.). Social media skills are an asset;
- Knowledge of UK parliamentary processes would be considered an asset.
Terms and conditions
- The post will be available starting from February / March 2021 (exact date TBC);
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays;
- Salary £23-28k depending on experience;
- Pension scheme;
- Bi-annual reviews focusing on personal development;
- Significant investment in personal growth: hands-on internal training from public relations and public affairs colleagues and opportunities for external training;
- A sociable team – regular team social (currently held online but still fun) with drinks and snacks provided.