About Our Client
South East England Councils represents County, Unitary and District Councils across the South East - an area which is central to the success of the UK but has to balance pressures such as housing and economic growth, the environment, massive infrastructure requirements, the lowest levels of central government support and skill shortages. South East England Councils makes the case for the South East and seeks to influence Ministers and other decision makers, as well as providing support to its members
This exciting opportunity will provide leadership for the team and act as strategic adviser to senior politicians - informing and engaging the Chair, Executive and member councils in the work of the organisation.
This is a multi-functional role to:
- Lead, shape and develop South East England Council's work to enhance the reputation and influence of the South East, agreeing key principles with the political leadership;
- Shape and maintain the big-picture vision, drawing on policy headlines to create exceptional, engaging, accurate and influential communication materials;
- Build and maintain relationships with partners and potential partners to maximise co-operation, developing a co-ordinated, representative voice for the South East's local authority leaders;
- Provide management oversight to the South East Strategic Partnership for Migration, a separate team funded by the home Office but hosted by South East England Councils.
The Successful Applicant:
- Experienced and politically astute manager with the ability to relate to politicians and officers at all levels and in all roles in local government;
- Strong experience in either policy making, public affairs or advocacy;
- Experience of working in local or central government, or a Whitehall/ Westminster based organisation;
- Exceptional communication skills with experience of leading strategic communications to be able to drive South East England Councils' influencing and member liaison work;
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to use diplomacy and insight to persuade, influence or challenge at a strategic level, maintaining the confidence and trust of members and stakeholders;
- Strong analytical skills. Able to analyse and present complex issues to individuals and groups;
- Ability to manage and monitor budgets.
What's on Offer
- £70,000 plus benefits;
- Flexible working. Part-time will be considered.