Are you passionate about policy development and sustainability? And do you know your way around EU Institutions and decision-making? The World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is looking for an EU Public Policy Lead with expertise in EU policy, advocacy and sustainability.
The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the sustainable development goals (SDGs), but to boost companies’ motivation, there needs to be real change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why the WBA develops benchmarks that will compare companies’ performance on the SDGs. We strengthen, support and complement our benchmarks through active engagement with civil society, financial institutions, business networks and policy institutions. As a core part of its engagement strategy, the WBA is building a policy and advocacy team, to support a future policy and regulatory environment to help business make progress on the SDGs. The strategy is articulated around three pillars: translating benchmarks results into actions for policy-makers; advocating system transformation with policy-makers; and focusing on the global financial system, aligning capital markets with sustainable outcomes.
Working with a dynamic and global team, you will develop and execute the policy strategy in the context of the EU Institutions; working collaboratively with other regional policy leads. The role involves inputting into the decision-making process and collaborating with multiple stakeholders.
What you do:
- Proactively develop, identify and prioritise WBA’s policy positions and advocacy opportunities with EU policy-maker audiences;
- Help shape the external policy environment in Brussels (and some Member States), focusing on issues which advocate long-term sustainable development;
- Lead in shaping the contribution of the WBA to EU policymaking, contributing to consultations, white papers and other policy developments;
- Anticipate, identify and proactively manage future EU policy issues of significance to sustainable development, finance and corporate reporting;
- Keep the EU Institutions and other relevant stakeholders informed of relevant WBA analysis and data;
- Build and maintain a network of critical relationships, including by networking and organising regular events and conversations.
Our EU Public Policy Lead:
- Has significsnt relevant experience in public policy and sustainability, with a track record of working in or with the Brussels policy-maker environment;
- Is an outstanding relationship manager, capable of building trust and representing a global organisation, for example governments, public bodies, campaigning groups and civil society;
- Understands the breadth of sustainability issues - experience with the corporate non-financial disclosure and sustainable finance agendas is preferred;
- Has strong influencing, negotiation and networking skills;
- Is flexible working in an evolving and fast changing environment, a self-starter that has a positive attitude and is able to plan and set priorities. Is effective in a remote working environment;
- Has excellent written and spoken English, a second language is desirable.
An inspiring and dynamic career, with room to grow in a driven team focused on impact, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth, believe in flexible working arrangements and you will receive market-based employment benefits. We have an office/presence in Amsterdam and London and colleagues all over the world. We are looking for Brussels-based Policy Lead, although nearby locations will also be considered.