The UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO) is seeking a skilled Government Relations professional to develop our government relations strategy and manage over 50 strategic and data supply relationships with UK arm’s length bodies.
About the UKHO
UKHO is an executive agency, sponsored by the Ministry of Defence. We survey and chart the world's oceans in order to develop and serve world leading software and data solutions to commercial shipping companies, navies and maritime organisations. Our products ensure safe navigation and global trade efficiency and support other marine activities including economic development, environmental protection, resource exploration and utilisation, scientific research and security and defence.
In order to meet our strategic ambitions, our capabilities need to be recognised, valued and utilised by Government. Equally for the business to deliver its products and services we rely on a secure data supply. It is therefore essential for UKHO to maintain strategic relationships across relevant Government bodies. As a senior member of the Government Relations Team, you will play a key role in developing these relationships. This will entail understanding, collating and articulating Government requirements and developing business arrangements with other organisations and government departments in order to secure continuity of data supply under the best possible terms and conditions for the UKHO.
You will lead on the strategic relationship with the Maritime & Coastguard Agency, who delegate some of their Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) obligations to UKHO. Other relationships, to name a few, will include the Marine Management Organisation, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science, National Oceanography Centre, Ordnance Survey, Met Office, Oil and Gas Authority, British Geological Survey and the general lighthouse authorities.
This role enables many areas of the business to deliver their objectives through engagement with the Arm’s Length Bodies. You will therefore also advise UKHO staff on how to engage with Government, who to engage with and how to contribute to progressing our Marine Geospatial Information agenda.
What we are looking for
To be successful in your application you will need:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral; able to diplomatically communicate in an environment where many people’s first language is one other than English;
- Ability to handle confidential information and recognise sensitive issues;
- Ability to extract and present accurate and concise information;
- Ability and willingness to work and travel independently;
- Proven negotiation and presentation skills;
- Ability to analyse complex information and distil the key points and their significance for the team and the UKHO;
- Good understanding of UKHO business – its products and services; internal organisation and functions, and major external stakeholders;
- Good understanding of UK legislative processes for matters associated with UKHO’s business environment;
- Good understanding of MOD protocols for matters associated with UKHO’s business environment.
UKHO is a great place in which to explore your career potential. While our projects are career-defining, the work/life balance that we can offer you is equally exceptional. From a flexitime, flexible working, an award-winning office environment and a generous annual leave allowance of 34.5 days including public holidays, the opportunities open to you here are hard to beat.