The Public Affairs Manager plays a key role in developing and managing Smart Energy GB’s engagement activity in Scotland to ensure awareness, understanding and advocacy of the smart meter rollout among key stakeholders.
Reporting to the Head of Policy, this role will deliver an effective campaign for the rollout and its long term benefits for consumers that will deliver tangible results across Scotland.
Key tasks / responsibilities
- Project manage Smart Energy GB’s corporate affairs activities in Scotland, including our outreach and advocacy to opinion-forming audiences, Smart Energy GB events and our presence at external events held by third parties;
- Advocate to opinion-formers in the Scottish Parliament and Government, local authorities, business and the third sector about the smart meter rollout and Smart Energy GB and our policy positions;
- Manage the day-to-day workload, priorities and performance of the Policy & Public Affairs Officer;
- Develop and deliver presentations and workshops on behalf of Smart Energy GB and deputise for the Head of Policy, and any other senior managers, as required;
- Monitor the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government events and reports to ensure Smart Energy GB contributes as appropriate;
- Draft content for senior management briefings and official correspondence;
- Ensure teams across the nations are aware of Scotland team activity and seek input from other departments as required to inform future plans;
- While this post is based in Edinburgh city centre, it will involve travel across Scotland and the rest of Great Britain.
Skills, experience and competencies
- Detailed knowledge of the workings and dynamics of Scottish politics at all levels;
- Detailed knowledge of third sector and business stakeholder organisations in Scotland and experience in influencing them;
- Ability to take on responsibility and use initiative to prioritise work and to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills;
- Creative thinking when it comes to developing outreach activity;
- Experience of dealing with contracted agencies and ensuring they deliver high quality work and value for money;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal/writing) with first-rate attention to detail;
- Appreciation of the objectives and activities of Smart Energy GB;
- Appreciate the diversity of the people and communities of Great Britain and embrace this diversity in your approach to work.