Are you passionate about policy development and sustainability? Do you have experience of engaging with governments in Asia? The World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is looking for a Regional Public Policy Lead with expertise in policy, advocacy and sustainability in the South/South East Asia region.
The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the sustainable development goals (SDGs), but to boost companies’ motivation, there needs to be real change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why the WBA develops benchmarks that will compare companies’ performance on the SDGs. We strengthen, support and complement our benchmarks through active engagement with civil society, financial institutions, business networks and policy institutions. As a core part of its engagement strategy, the WBA is building a policy and advocacy team, to support a future policy and regulatory environment to help business make progress on the SDGs. The strategy is articulated around three pillars: translating benchmarks results into actions for policy-makers; advocating system transformation with policy- makers; and focusing on the global financial system, aligning capital markets with sustainable outcomes.
Working with a dynamic and global team, you will develop and execute the policy strategy in the context of regional policy making fora – with focus on South East and Southern Asia – working collaboratively with other policy leads. Uniquely this role also connects more deeply with the individual benchmark teams.
What you do:
- Proactively develop, identify and prioritise WBA’s policy positions and advocacy opportunities with select South Asia/South East Asia audiences, e.g. ASEAN;
- Help shape the external policy environment in this region, focusing on issues which advocate long-term sustainable development;
- Lead in shaping the contribution of the WBA to regional (excluding EU) policymaking, contributing to consultations, white papers and other policy developments;
- Identify global policy issues of significance to sustainable development, finance and corporate reporting;
- Keep relevant bodies – such as ASEAN governments informed of relevant WBA analysis and data;
- Build and maintain a network of critical relationships, by networking and organising conversations;
- Lead in shaping policy analysis and recommendations published in benchmark reports, focused on impact and outcomes in developing countries.
Our Regional Public Policy Lead:
- Has significant experience in public policy and sustainability, with a track record of working with policy- makers either at regional or national levels in South East or South Asia;
- Is an outstanding relationship manager, capable of building trust and representing a global organisation, for example governments, public bodies, UN agencies, campaigning groups and civil society;
- Understands the breadth of sustainability issues - experience with the corporate non-financial disclosure and sustainable finance agendas is preferred;
- Has strong influencing, negotiation and networking skills;
- Is flexible working in an evolving and fast changing environment, a self-starter that has a positive attitude and is able to plan and set priorities. Is effective in a remote working environment;
- Has excellent written and spoken English, a second language is desirable;
An inspiring and dynamic career, with room to grow in a driven team focused on impact, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth, believe in flexible working arrangements and you will receive market-based employment benefits. We have an office/presence in Amsterdam and London and colleagues all over the world. We are looking for a Policy Lead based in South East or South Asia. Other locations will be considered if necessary.