We are looking for a Senior Officer (Government Relations) to help to deliver the policy, research and insight team’s goals and projects, with a special focus on Government Relations. The postholder will take the lead on Westminster, Whitehall, Devolved Administration and related stakeholder engagement, communications and political briefings.
With a passion for building strong, influential relationships with parliamentarians, civil servants and think tanks, the postholder will have a thorough understanding of political parties and parliamentary processes with the credibility to influence people at all levels.
The ACU is an international organisation dedicated to building a better world through higher education.
We believe that international collaboration is central to this ambition. By bringing universities together from around the world – and crucially the people who study and work within them - we help to advance knowledge, promote understanding, broaden minds, and improve lives.
We champion higher education as a cornerstone of stronger societies, supporting our members, partners, and stakeholders as they adapt to a changing world.
As Senior Officer (Government Relations) your responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the overall planning and delivery of a range of policy, research and insight projects linked to government relations and the ACU
- Develop the ACU’s plans for government relations, providing public affairs advice and support to the ACU, including briefing managers and senior leaders and sharing intel on potential opportunities for the ACU
- Build and maintain effective relationships with staff and senior managers across the ACU, external stakeholders including ministers, MPs, civil servants, key opinion leaders, think tanks, trade associations and lobbying groups
- Identify opportunities for the ACU to engage with government and parliament, and provide advice on appropriate and effective responses, helping to raise the profile of the ACU
Some of the skills you need to be able to demonstrate include:
- Strong understanding and ideally experience of working in Westminster and Whitehall;
- Ability to work as an advisor to managers and staff across the ACU;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to write and communicate effectively and succinctly with a wide range of audience and excellent report writing skills;
- A confident strategic thinking, creative problem-solver and ability to take full ownership;
- A self-starter with passion, drive and energy;
- Experience of engaging with political audiences, with the ability to develop new and manage relationships with ministers, MP’s. Peers, civil servants and ACU members;
- Our benefits include 31 days holiday per year (including 4 Christmas closure days) plus bank holidays, competitive pension scheme (10% employer contribution plus 5% employee contribution), season ticket loan and excellent support for learning and development through a range of educational and networking activities.
At the ACU, we welcome and encourage applications from everyone regardless of gender, race, religion, marital status, disability, age, and sexual orientation.
As Senior Officer (Government Relations) you will be employed by ACU Trading Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary.