PLMR is a successful, fast growing communications agency with a dynamic, vibrant team that works across a number of high profile clients to deliver public affairs, public relations and digital solutions for its clients.
PLMR offers internships to individuals who are seeking to gain relevant professional experience before embarking on a career. As a Public Affairs and Media Relations Intern you will assist the PLMR team in providing high quality servicing to all our clients. You will have a keen interest in public relations (PR), in how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media, in public affairs (PA) and in the UK political landscape. In this role you will gain experience of – and exposure to – all the main disciplines of consultancy life.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be well motivated and able to work under pressure using your own initiative. You will be able to conceptualise, analyse and write persuasive arguments. You will have a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results. You will also be active in the social media networking sphere and have an interest in developing your own networks within both political and media circles.
Reporting to: Senior Account Executive / Account Manager
You will engage in a variety of tasks to support the PLMR team which may include some or all of the following:
- Producing policy briefings for PLMR clients;
- Liaising with the office of an MPs or Ministers, and drafting letters if required;
- Contributing to the drafting of public affairs and/or media relations strategies;
- Drafting press releases or a set of press releases for a PLMR client;
- ‘Selling in’ press releases to journalists;
- Compiling media lists in support of a press release mailout;
- Supporting PLMR’s planning lobbying work;
- Sitting in on an internal PLMR account meetings;
- Preparing “Live Actions Updates”;
- Involvement in PLMR New Business activities;
- Monitoring political events of relevance to PLMR clients and contributing to the work of PLMR’s monitoring team;
- Contributing to meeting preparation in support of either the senior PLMR team or a PLMR client;
- Producing regular task lists and keeping up to date timesheets;
- Dealing with telephone calls that come into the PLMR office;
- Working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the PR activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients;
- Assisting with event management, including press conferences and promotional events;
- Responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice;
- Providing colleagues with general administrative support as required;
- Developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment;
- Meeting internal deadlines - being organised and punctual.
Please note the role may vary slightly depending on which team/client accounts you will be working on and the needs of the business.