Are you interested in being a part of the government’s biggest and highest profile infrastructure project? Are you up to the challenge of helping to lead the communications strategy at a defining moment for HS2?
We have an exciting opportunity to lead the High Speed Rail (HSR) communications team at a critical juncture. With contracts in place to build phase one of HS2 from London to Birmingham, and a firm decision on the route for phase two having been made, the project is now moving into the next stage where years of planning will start to become a reality.
We also have a great story to tell on creating skills and jobs across the UK as we start construction on Britain’s new railway – providing a step change in capacity and connectivity. And it’s more important than ever that we work effectively with our partners, explain our plans and priorities, and listen, understand and respond to our stakeholders and local communities.
As Head of HSR Communications, you will be responsible for leading an integrated, multi-channel communications campaign for HS2. You will play a key role as a member of the communications leadership team, and regularly advise Ministers, Special Advisers and senior officials. You will also work hand in hand with HS2 Ltd and build relationships across the industry.
To be equal to the challenge, transport experience is not required but you will need a strong track record in media relations, public affairs and communications at a senior level. You will have strong influencing skills and a proven ability to advise senior leaders in an organisation. You will be able to lead a diverse and talented team and be confident in managing competing demands.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Advising Ministers, Special Advisers, the Director General and Directors on all aspects of communications around HS2;
- Demonstrating high quality leadership of a multi-disciplinary team delivering communications and engagement, developing team capability and resilience using your strong people management skills;
- Developing and leading an integrated, multi-channel HS2 communications campaign;
- Building excellent working relationships with HS2 Ltd, helping them develop strong communications plans and capabilities and hold them to account for delivery;
- Overseeing delivery of public announcements for the HS2 Programme, with effective co-ordinated working across the Group, stakeholders and DfT Communications Directorate, while holding our delivery partners to account.