The Royal College of Surgeons of England is a professional membership organisation and registered charity, which exists to advance patient care. We support over 25,000 members in the UK and internationally by improving their skills and knowledge, facilitating research and developing policy and guidance.
About the role
The Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) is looking for an outstanding Head of Policy, Press and Public Affairs to lead. Leading a team of nine individuals, you will oversee our influencing work in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Among our current priorities, the successful candidate will helps us to improve access to elective surgery, assure standards in private healthcare, support children and older people’s oral health, enhance professional regulation and the surgical workforce, and pursue policy changes which support future technological developments that will affect surgery.
- Influence legislation, policy, and practice for the benefit of surgical patients;
- Review and implement the RCS’ influencing, stakeholder, and media strategies;
- Maintain our high public profile – we are regularly among the most cited non-government health organisations in the UK press;
- Lead a team of nine policy, press and public affairs professionals;
- Advise and support the President, Trustees, Vice-Presidents, Faculty of Dental Surgery Dean, and other spokespeople on communications issues;
- Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to support the College’s wider aims and ambitions.
- Ambitious and experienced, with skills covering the breadth of policy, media, and public affairs requirements of this role;
- Able to lead a team by example, as well as through your technical expertise and vision, while helping the team to learn celebrate success and learn from mistakes;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Passionate about health policy and improving the lives of surgical patients;
- Committed to innovation and continual improvement of the quality of your work.
What we can offer you
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays and up to 4 college closure days;
- Flexible working;
- Enhanced contributory pension scheme & other leave entitlements;
- In-house gym;
- Variety of learning and development opportunities;
- Wellbeing programme & Employee Assistance Scheme.