Reporting to the Chief Executive you will lead on the development and delivery of Brain Tumour Research’s lobbying and campaigning programme, public affairs and influencing strategies, engaging public and political support for our policy calls and for Brain Tumour Research.
Brain Tumour Research is one of the fastest growing national charities in the UK. We are passionate about finding a cure for brain tumours through the establishment of dedicated Brain Tumour Research Centres of Excellence around the UK.
Our vision is to find a cure for brain tumours. Our mission is to build a network of experts in sustainable brain tumour research.
- As a member of the management team, lead the organisation in the delivery of the 2020 strategy and development of future strategies;
- Manage the campaign and public affairs team and co-ordinate campaigning, public affairs and influencing activity to ensure delivery against the teams’ objectives;
- Work with colleagues across Brain Tumour Research to support the development and delivery of integrated influencing strategies in support of the organisation’s objectives;
- Develop, implement and review the policy and campaigns strategy, operational plans and budgets, working closely with the management team;
- Identify opportunities for promoting Brain Tumour Research’s strategic priorities within government;
- Manage the secretariat to the brain tumour APPG, adhering to APPG rules and maintaining our reputation as campaign leaders;
- Lead, motivate, support and develop a high-performing campaign and public affairs team;
- Clarify roles and responsibilities and direct our public affairs agency in their aspects of executing the public affairs strategy;
- Instil a planning culture, with project plans in place for all relevant areas of work, ensuring these plans are properly briefed and delivered;
- Introduce effective evaluation, reporting, budgeting and communication of activities and impact for all areas of campaigns, public affairs and influencing work and propose alternative plans and activities when performance is not on track;
- Attend trustee meetings and report on public affairs matters;
- Identify PR opportunities relating to public affairs matters and assist the PR team to write press releases which raise awareness of the success of our campaigning;
- Contribute to the Believe magazine;
- Own, develop and maintain the public affairs sections of the Brain Tumour Research website;
- Evaluate and introduce digital campaigning, thereafter evaluating its effectiveness and developing accordingly;
- Oversee the design, development and delivery of comprehensive public affairs plans for devolved nations;
- Ensure that the charity’s campaigning and public affairs activities are informed by the views and experiences of patients, their families, carers, healthcare professionals and researchers and, where relevant, the wider public;
- Build relationships across the political spectrum, as well as with other charities, think-tanks and similar organisations, to ensure that we are maximising opportunities to influence issues relating to brain tumour research;
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of current key issues and policies relevant to brain tumours and research, and an understanding of the external environment in which the charity is aiming to campaign and to influence;
- Work closely and collaboratively with other teams and departments to ensure that supporter journeys, including campaigning activity, are developed and supporters are effectively stewarded in their relationship with Brain Tumour Research;
- Ensure that the work of the team supports, and is integrated across, the organisation and that the work of the team is communicated internally and through external communications as appropriate;
- Serve as an internal reference point for information on campaigning and influencing;
- Ensure that colleagues meeting key external contacts are thoroughly briefed and appropriately supported;
- Ensure that political developments, external events and opportunities that will impact on the brain tumour research environment are monitored and expert, timely commentary to the Chief Executive, Management Team and other colleagues is provided;
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation including that covering data protection, fundraising, charity and elections;
- To comply with Brain Tumour Research’s internal policies as appropriate;
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as required.