We’re looking for a Manager, General Insurance Policy. In this new role at the ABI, you’ll play a key role as part of the management team with the opportunity to lead on some of the highest profile policy areas affecting General Insurance.
You’ll work closely with the Assistant Director, Head of General Insurance Policy to develop and implement strategy and policy. You’ll also work together to lead the team and guide your colleagues to effectively manage policy issues from a GI perspective. As part of your leadership duties, you’ll line manage two members of the team.
While your focus will be General Insurance Policy, over time, you may work on other policy and regulatory issues depending on ABI priorities and projects.
Day to day you will:
- Lead the ABI’s strategy and policy development on a variety of GI issues. These may include issues relating to motor insurance, civil justice, property insurance, cyber insurance, travel insurance, liability insurance, trade credit insurance and London Market issues.
- Work cross-organisationally with colleagues to shape policy positions and deliver policy-related projects.
- Manage and retain a highly motivated, high performing team.
- Represent the team at various ABI committee meetings and lead policy debates at these groups to develop and advance credible positions which take into account the views of members and the impact on consumers.
- Provide technical expertise to support cross organisational queries and requests for views on policy issues.
- Represent the interests of the UK GI market in meetings with key stakeholders (e.g. in Government, regulators etc), in the media, and by undertaking speaking engagements.
- Build and maintain strong networks with senior members, prospective members, representatives of Government and regulators, commentators and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the leadership of the wider ABI as part of the ABI’s Management Team, contributing to organisational business planning and prioritisation.
Where can this role take you?
Wherever possible, we support our staff to develop their careers internally. The next natural step for you in this role would be an Assistant Director, but this is flexible depending on your own ambitions.
With a supportive environment and the fantastic exposure you get to lots of people in the industry and the knowledge you’ll build on a range of regulatory and policy issues, the ABI is a great place to continue your career.
What training and benefits are offered?
On your first day you’ll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You’ll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on the CII Introduction to Insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events.
Additional training will be driven by your own personal needs and ambitions and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.
We’re looking for:
You’ll need a good understanding of policy development and excellent project management skills. Insurance or financial services experience is beneficial but not compulsory – it’s more important that you can digest and analyse technical information quickly and understand the legal aspect of your work. Where or not you’ve line managed before, we’ll be looking for your ability to motivate a high performing team.
At interview, we’ll be looking for excellent communication and strong stakeholder management skills, particularly with senior stakeholders as you will interact up to C-suite level. You’ll need a flexible and adaptable approach to your work and changing priorities. Finally, you’ll also need to be a personable and convincing negotiator, capable of influencing others’ views and building consensus.