The BVCA is the industry body and public policy advocate for the private equity and venture capital industry in the UK. For more than three decades, we have represented the industry from a policy and public affairs perspective and delivered authoritative research and analysis, specialist training and topical conferences. Our membership comprises more than 600 influential firms, including over 260 private equity and venture capital fund managers, as well as institutional investors, professional advisers, service providers and international associations. We work together to provide capital and expertise to growing businesses, to unlock potential and to deliver enhanced returns to the millions who directly and indirectly invest in our industry.
This role will provide the successful applicant with a fantastic opportunity to build a detailed understanding of the private equity and venture capital industry, and to represent its interests to political and regulatory stakeholders, particularly following the UK’s vote to leave the EU.
The goal of the BVCA policy team is to promote a legal, regulatory and tax environment which enables enterprise and investment to flourish and ensure private equity and venture capital plays a full role in the success of the British economy.
Experience working in the financial services industry is essential; familiarity with a regulated industry is needed given the level of detail a successful applicant will have to deal with. A legal or accounting background would be ideal for this role. Furthermore, a willingness and ability to learn quickly is key, as is the skill of managing projects the Legal & Accounting and Regulatory committees are working on (note that this role does not cover tax).
- Quickly build a thorough understanding of the key legislative files relevant to the private equity and venture capital industry, primarily the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive;
- Support the Director of Policy on matters arising from the BVCA’s technical committees. This will involve taking ownership of certain legislative files including hosting meetings to collate feedback from members, drafting consultation responses and following up with government officials and regulators;
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments to ensure the BVCA team is kept abreast of incoming regulation, consultations, etc;
- Build relationships and networks with key stakeholders and members. This includes private equity and venture capital firms, advisers, other trade bodies and officials within government and regulators;
- Liaise with the BVCA’s international partners on technical matters, including private equity and venture capital associations in Europe, the US and the Channel Islands;
- Provide regular updates to members to ensure they are kept informed of key legal and regulatory developments within the industry. This includes frequent technical updates and bulletins, the annual BVCA Tax, Legal and Regulatory conference, while also contributing to the association’s weekly newsletter;
- Provide and maintain technical content on the BVCA website;
- Work with the BVCA’s public affairs, communications and research teams to ensure consistency in all public messaging.
- Strong academic background including demonstrable financial services experience working in a policy-oriented environment either in-house, or within a professional services firm or a trade association. Experience working within a Government department or regulator would also be beneficial;
- A good understanding of the post-crisis financial regulatory framework and experience of monitoring financial services;
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills: The ability to build relationships is important so you are in a position to understand industry issues, articulate these, empathise with all parties you are working with and provide pragmatic solutions;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate and liaise with senior executives from our member firms;
- Solutions-focussed and able to deal with issues which involvement careful stakeholder management;
- Track record of project management and the ability to work to multiple deadlines simultaneously;
- Collaborative and consultative approach and a strong work ethic.