The CLC and the profession of Licensed Conveyancer were established by Parliament in 1985 to foster competition in the provision of conveyancing services. We were able to license businesses that had outside investment, long before the 2007 Legal Services Act introduced Alternative Business Structures across the rest of the sector. So our expertise in regulating commercially-minded legal service providers has deep roots.
The CLC's regulation of specialist conveyancing and probate lawyers delivers high standards of consumer protection and supports innovation in the delivery of legal services.
You will manage a portfolio of practices ensuring that they meet their regulatory obligations through discussion, review, monitoring and inspection of practices. You will be the first point of contact for issues or queries, taking decisions, making judgements and assisting practices.
Your reports will enable swift, effective implementation of corrective action and support regulatory activities that develop the risk based approach and wider regulatory policy.
You will be providing guidance to the regulated community, key stakeholders, colleagues and members of the public on the regulatory framework, Code of Conduct and related matters, to promote and achieve compliance with regulatory obligations. You will play a key role in identifying and understanding new legislation and regulation which may impact the regulated community and ensuring appropriate application.
The Successful Applicant
- Degree level education or equivalent experience;
- Experience in regulation, investigations, policy, audit, or risk;
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge and skills to undertake the role;
- Ability to understand practice business and operating models;
- Ability to develop an effective risk management approach to identify risks to regulatory objectives and appropriate solutions in mitigation;
- Ability to engage effectively with practices to promote regulatory compliance;
- Ability to analyse and evaluate a large volume of information and interpret complex legal information, identify key issues, make balanced judgements and take appropriate action;
- Proactive, flexible approach to identify and promote new ideas and opportunities and develop productive partnerships;
- Experience of building positive relationships with external stakeholders and influencing senior management teams and boards.