The Master of Public Policy is a professional degree dedicated to training future public leaders. Please note that this programme will not be running for September 2018 admissions. For further information contact email@example.com.
About the Course
The MPP provides future public leaders with the theoretical and conceptual frameworks and the practical skills needed to successfully tackle the policy challenges of the 21st century.
A truly interdisciplinary programme, the MPP blends insights from political science, public policy and administration, business, law, and economics to create a solid knowledge base.
This programme is committed to bridging theory and practice. The majority of seminars include a public policy practitioner, alongside an academic. In addition our strong connections to the Scottish Government and Scottish Parliament allow for numerous activities outside of the curriculum - including visits to government offices, parliamentary committees, parliamentary debates - that add an all-important practical component to the study of public policy.
Why study this programme?
• You will draw on the research and expertise of our world-renowned faculty, who are shaping the responses to the challenges confronting policymakers around the globe.
• You would be studying in one of the most prestigious programmes of its kind. The programme has been awarded the highest rating possible for the quality of the student learning experience and attracts high calibre students from around the world, so you will be studying with some of the brightest policy makers of the future.
• You will benefit from our close relations with the Scottish Government and Parliament.
• You will gain hands-on experience as you take part in a 3-month placement within a policy-focused organisation.
• You will develop your knowledge base and a wide range of skills to help you reach your full potential. By the end of the programme you will have acquired leadership skills, analytical thinking and advanced skills in quantitative research methods.
• You will be allocated a Personal Tutor, who will offer one-to-one guidance and support.
• You will study in one of the most prestigious Universities in the world.
Mode of Study
Full time for 12 months.
The MPP involves two intensive semesters of work at the Academy of Government, followed by a placement in which students apply their learning and skills in a professional policy environment.
In semester 1 all students on the MPP complete four foundational courses designed to give a robust grounding in public policy, economics, and analytical methods. In semester 2 the focus is on specialisation and students can select from a range of policy-specific courses offered by Schools across the University. Students undertake one further core course in semester 2.
You can find more information on the MPP here.
The programme also offers a range of additional skills-based seminars on topics such as negotiation, effective communication, writing policy, and leadership.