The Labour Movement for Europe is the Labour Party’s only affiliate organisation dedicated to rebuilding our nation’s relationship with Europe. Following a substantial growth in membership and influence, it is expanding and recruiting ahead of the forthcoming general election. The role is primarily based in Westminster and involves working closely with our Chair, Stella Creasy MP and our Executive overseen by our Honorary Secretary Giampi Alhadeff. At a time of high interest in the future of the UK’s relationship with the European Union post Brexit, the post represents a critical opportunity to help develop and shape a future Labour Government’s policy making on European Affairs.
The LME is seeking to appoint a full-time campaigns and research advisor. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the Labour Movement and its values and aims, knowledge of working in a busy office or similar environment, excellent attention to detail and excellent interpersonal and communications skills. It would suit someone with previous experience of campaigns or political research, including in a parliamentary context, who is passionate about our nation’s future in Europe and enjoys working with a wide range of members, volunteers and activists across the UK and beyond on this subject matter.
Key responsibilities include:
- Producing consistently high-quality written outputs and research briefs, often on contentious and complex issues to tight deadlines to be used by parliamentarians who are members of the Labour Movement for Europe- this will include press releases, op-eds, statements, blogs, articles Q&As and other materials
- Day-to-day oversight of material for social media including Instagram, twitter, Facebook and the LME website using a range of technologies including NationBuilder, Canva and video software. Experience with these technologies will be a bonus but training is also available.
- Monitoring research and evidence gathering about the impact of Brexit and possible resolution of the problems it causes, including participating in academic and campaign meetings for this purpose
- Support with grassroots campaigning strategy and delivery including working to grow the presence of the Labour Movement for Europe within CLPs and the wider Labour Party and trade Union movement.
- Working with the Chair and the Honorary Secretary of the LME to support fundraising and membership activities including running webinars, online database management and following up membership enquiries and speaker requests.
- Representing the LME at public events as requested
- Managing the work of the administrative assistant.
- There may be requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal hours and travel for work overseas occasionally
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. The LME is a flexible workplace and we are happy to discuss job sharing, flexi-time to fit around other commitments, hybrid working or compressed hours.
We encourage applications from people who are traditionally underrepresented in politics, including women, people from minority ethnic communities, LGBT+ individuals and disabled people.