Medical Aid for Palestinians is the leading UK charity delivering health and medical care to those worst affected by conflict, occupation and displacement in in the occupied Palestinian territory and the Palestinian refugee camps of Lebanon.
We are seeking to recruit a temporary Campaigns Assistant to be based in the MAP office in London. You will be responsible for supporting MAP’s “Health under Occupation” campaigning activities.
Reporting to: Advocacy and Campaigns Manager
Key internal relationsips: Advocacy and Campaigns Manager; Campaigns Officer; Advocacy and Campaigns Director; External campaign partners; UK team; oPt team; Lebanon team.
Duties and key responsibilities
Administration and Organisation
- Assisting with the organisation of and logistics for printed and social media output, meetings, conferences, talks and events relating to the 2017 Health Under Occupation campaign as well as of its monitoring and evaluation;
- Arranging travel/accommodation for guest speakers when necessary;
- Fielding email and phone enquiries;
- Providing general administrative support as required.
- Support the delivery of MAP’s 2017 Health Under Occupation campaign;
- Organising and attending campaign meetings when required, and writing up and sharing notes;
- Helping to identify opportunities to further our campaign objectives during the campaign cycle;
- Supporting delegations and MAP’s parliamentary campaigning efforts;
- Supporting MAP’s Campaigns Team coordination and input to partners, both internal (fundraising and projects teams) and external (report co-authors, coalitions);
- Supporting the monitoring and evaluation of campaign activities, through updating of impact databases.
Communications & Media
- Supporting the drafting, editing and uploading of campaign-related content on the MAP website;
- Drafting and scheduling social media content;
- Supporting drafting of weekly supporter email newsletter;
- Photo searches and updating our photo archive;
- Keeping MAP’s social media monitoring tools up to date;
- Supporting development of media products and pitching;
- Assisting overall campaigns communication functions as required.
- Contribute to research for briefings and reports, including for party conferences, parliamentarians and others;
- Support research of relevant government policies relating to Palestinian health and human rights, and monitoring of political activities during the 2017 campaign year;
- Other research tasks as required.
- Support the mission, ethos and values of MAP;
- Carry out other associated duties as may arise in line with the broad remit of the position;
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace;
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work.
- Experience of campaigning in a UK context;
- Experience of organising events and meetings;
- Previous research experience in an academic, voluntary or paid employment setting.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Fluency in oral and written English;
- Demonstrable high level of proficiency in updating websites and using social media;
- Proven administrative and organisational skills;
- Self-motivated, possessing initiative and ability prioritise/multi-task;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to tailor output to different audiences;
- Microsoft Office proficiency;
- Interest in and understanding of UK politics is desirable.
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings on occasion (additional time worked will be given as time off in lieu)
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities.
- Commitment to upholding the rights of people facing disadvantage and discrimination.