IPSE exists to support the self-employed with the challenges they face - from being paid on time to receiving fairer maternity pay. We represent 68,000 independent professionals across a range of sectors.
This role would suit someone keen to start a career in public policy and work in a friendly and experienced policy/public affairs team.
- Take responsibility for issues in specific sectors and identify relevant new policy/campaign development opportunities;
- Assist in the production of relevant policy and political analysis;
- Help the team undertake relevant research and analysis, and be able to deliver this research in a coherent way to a variety of audiences;
- Assist in parliamentary, press and political monitoring;
- Respond to relevant consultations by Government and other key bodies;
- Create written material for external and internal use and ensure documents and records are updated as required;
- Generate content for the IPSE e-newsletter, IPSE Magazine and website;
- Attend IPSE meetings and external meetings when required;
- Ensure a good working relationship with IPSE’s stakeholders;
- Provide administrative support to the policy and external relations team, including organising meetings, travel and events, taking minutes, etc.
- Good understanding of the UK Parliament and political system would be advantageous, but is not essential as long as the candidate is willing to learn;
- The role would ideally suit an individual with a degree in English, Politics, History or any other social science.
- Experience of working in a policy or public affairs environment desirable but not essential;
- Experience of stakeholder engagement and relationship management an advantage;
- Experience of writing policy papers, briefings, blogs or any other written content an advantage.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for a range of different audiences is essential;
- Flexible approach to the work is essential;
- Willingness to take ownership of issues and tasks to support the team;
- Willingness to undertake administrative tasks as part of day to day role;
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication, team-working and interpersonal skills are essential.