You will lead the team managing TfL's relationship with the London Assembly to achieve and realise TfL’s public affairs strategy.
You will coordinate and provide quality assurance for responses to scrutiny by the London Assembly and Mayor's Office. You’ll support the Public Affairs and External Relations Leads and Local Communities and Partnerships team by acting as the relationship manager for the London Assembly. The job holder will act to deliver policy, legislation and funding decisions as appropriate, and in high-level interactions with politicians and officials to build trust and confidence, establish positive relationships and activate third-party advocacy.
- Effectively delivering the day-to-day implementation plan for a comprehensive public affairs strategy for all relations with the London Assembly (individually and via membership bodies). Build and maintain relationships with the London Assembly and ensure that plans are effectively translated into meaningful, joined-up geographic engagement with Assembly Members;
- Effectively overseeing the systems in place that manage scrutiny from the London Assembly, including committee scrutiny, as appropriate. This includes managing Mayor’s Questions, MP and Assembly correspondence and casework and VIP correspondence for the Mayor/Deputy Mayor as appropriate;
- Leading on communicating an in-depth appreciation of TfL strategy and agenda in relation to the development of policy and legislation and decision-making about funding from the London Assembly;
- Executing the process of ensuring political and policy developments are effectively communicated within TfL;
- Representing TfL at appropriate forums as necessary, and effectively communicate intelligence and insight gathered as a result to enable TfL to commence its action planning at the earliest possible opportunity;
- Effectively preparing ExCo members and other senior managers to build successful relationships and attend meetings with London Assembly members in accordance with the public affairs framework established by the Head of Government Relations, as appropriate
- Successfully deploying, developing and managing the performance and quality of direct reports;
- Collaborating effectively across the Public Affairs and External Relations team, Customers, Communication & Technology (CCT) and wider TfL to ensure joined-up communication and effective achievement of TfL and Mayoral goals;
- Lead and manage a team ensuring appropriate resourcing, deployment, performance management and development and ensuring high quality outcomes are delivered.
Skills Experience and Knowledge
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject, or with relevant professional experience;
- Experience of working in a mainstream public affairs environment, working with a number of stakeholder audiences, including politicians and government officials, and EU contacts as appropriate;
- Understanding of the political environment in which TfL operates, internationally, nationally and regionally, including relationships with Government, Parliament and the London Assembly as appropriate;
- Deep understanding of the way that policy is developed and implemented, and how political engagement influences this;
- Understanding of the challenges London faces and TfL's corporate strategy;
- Understanding of the relationship between the Mayor's priorities, business strategy and public affairs strategy;
- Able to produce and adapt clear and concise research on complex issues often to tight deadlines, including drafting position papers and correspondence;
- Confidence to play a full and active part in internal meetings up to senior management level (including briefing the Executive Committee) and externally;
- Proven ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with senior colleagues and external political groups;
- Politically astute, with a sound awareness of the key policy issues affecting transport decisions in London;
- Experience of proactively engaging with external audiences and political institutions, and also of encouraging third-party advocacy and mitigating criticism.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
- Final salary pension scheme;
- Free travel for you on the TfL network;
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan;
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays;
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional);
- Tax-efficient childcare payments;
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme;
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers;
- Discounted Eurostar travel.