This is an exciting opportunity to join the busy Corporate Affairs team at the Food and Drink Federation, the representative body of the UK’s largest and most vibrant manufacturing sector. As the industry grapples with the challenges and opportunities of exiting the EU, we are advertising a six-month role to support the Head of Corporate Affairs and Media & Campaigns Manager with FDF’s public affairs, media and stakeholder relations strategy.
This role is crucial in liaising between FDF’s expert policy teams, member companies, the media and political stakeholders to help communicate our priorities for Brexit, diet and health, industrial strategy, sustainability and food science.
Political and Media Monitoring
- To keep abreast of political and media developments affecting food and drink manufacturing, analysing content and providing timely advice to FDF colleagues and member companies on relevant items such as Government announcements and consultations, Parliamentary activity and media campaigns;
- To assist with the compilation of regular reports and newsletters for FDF colleagues and members, and disseminating intelligence on policy, political and parliamentary developments.
Political and Stakeholder Engagement
- To assist with the delivery of FDF’s public affairs engagement programme at Westminster, devolved government and EU level;
- To draft briefings, correspondence and stakeholder communications on a wide range of topics for Parliamentarians and key contacts;
- To proactively seek opportunities to communicate FDF’s position, through public events and meetings;
- To support the team in maintaining an accurate stakeholder management database.
- To assist the team in supporting FDF in its role as Secretariat for the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Food and Drink Manufacturing, co-ordinating meetings and activity throughout the year, and with FDF’s subscriptions and memberships;
- To assist with the planning, logistics and delivery of FDF events, including the annual Parliamentary Reception, Commercial events and other ad hoc events.
Media Relations and Campaigns
- To handle media queries, seeking advice from specific FDF colleagues as appropriate or external organisations, in consultation with the Media & Campaigns Manager;
- To develop FDF proactive press releases, position statements, media responses, media plans and Q&As in consultation with Media & Campaigns Manager and FDF colleagues;
- In liaison with the Media & Campaigns Manager, to plan and progress campaign activity for agreed FDF priorities, such as developing communication solutions, stakeholder resources, planning events, creating web and hard copy and sourcing case studies;
- To provide advice for member associations, and FDF committees/groups on media issues of concern to FDF and on specific issues relating to their sectors;
- With the other members of the Media Team, to provide a 24-hour on call media service for FDF.
- To assist with any other reasonable duties that may be required by the Media & Campaigns Manager, Public Affairs Manager or Corporate Affairs Director;
- To develop and maintain an understanding of FDF’s work and the needs of members.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience;
- Substantial experience of working within a corporate affairs, political or media environment, preferably with knowledge of the food and drink industry and with some crisis management experience;
- Good understanding of politics and Westminster parliamentary processes;
- Experience of working with politicians and journalists;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- A persuasive and diplomatic communicator with the ability to handle confidential information sensitively and quickly build trusting relationships with a wide range of individuals;
- Able to work as part of a team and multi-task, with good time management skills;
- A proactive and creative approach;
- Ability to work flexibly and cope with change;
- Good organisational skills with attention to detail;
- Events management experience;
- Able to demonstrate interest in the food and drink sector;
- Competent in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
FDF offers an excellent employee benefits package to its employees – a pension scheme, life insurance, 25 days annual leave, cycle-to-work scheme, eye-care vouchers and a twice a week fruit drop. After successful completion of a 6-months’ probationary period, employees will be entitled to an interest-free season ticket loan, gym subsidy, childcare vouchers and private health insurance.