EDF Energy, one of the UK’s largest energy companies and the largest producer of low-carbon electricity, is looking for an external communications manager to be based at our head office in Central London with experience working on high profile public affairs issues.
The External Communications manager will need proven experience in working in an issues led, high profile and political environment, and will have strong experience in public affairs. They will work closely with the wider communications team, including digital and brand, business unit leads, and our external agencies to provide integrated communications support.
This role reports to the Senior External Communications Manager – Public Affairs. It sits within the Communications Directorate within Strategy and Corporate Affairs and is part of a wider external communications team, designed to provide flexible support in both media relations and public affairs with the whole team able to deliver the best possible service. There may be occasional travel to EDF Energy offices and sites as required by the business.
- Deliver the public affairs elements of an integrated communications plan working closely with the Senior Communications Managers for these business units and the Senior Communications Manager for Public Affairs;
- Support the Senior External Communications Manager for NNB in the delivery of the strategic external communications plan, and in handling any communication issues as required;
- Manage parliamentary activity and monitoring on issues relating to the Generation, Hinkley New Nuclear and Renewables business;
- Manage regular communication and relationships with power station MPs, and other elected representatives including organising site visits;
- Collaborate with NNB communications team on stakeholder communications e.g. consultation materials and events;
- Support the delivery of parliamentary lobbying campaigns including arranging meetings with MPs, drafting plans, briefings and communications materials, managing stakeholder databases and preparing internal reports;
- Support the company activity at political Party Conferences;
- Advise executives within Generation and NNB on stakeholder and political issues.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Public affairs experience in-house or at agency;
- Demonstrated success in managing public affairs activities and events for a complex organisation or agency;
- First class communication skills (written and oral), in particular the ability to communicate complex topics to a wide audience;
- Good influencing skills and ability to work well with others in a large and complex organisation, including senior leaders in business;
- Evidence of external experience and interest in UK politics, including knowledge of the UK political process;
- Proven ability to work under pressure to manage issues and deliver to tight deadlines;
- Ability to commission and publish content on media and digital channels.