The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) is the voice of the UK food and drink industry - the largest manufacturing sector in the country. We help our members operate in an appropriately regulated marketplace to maximise their competitiveness. We communicate our industry's values and concerns to Government, regulators, consumers and the media. We also work in partnership with key players in the food chain to ensure our food is safe, affordable and nutritious and that consumers can have trust in it.
FDF offers an excellent employee benefits package to its employees – a pension scheme, life insurance, 25 days annual leave, cycle-to-work scheme, eye-care vouchers and a twice a week fruit drop. After successful completion of a 6-months’ probationary period, employees will be entitled to an interest-free season ticket loan, gym subsidy, childcare vouchers and private health insurance.
- To lead FDF’s engagement across all areas of external/ corporate affairs at Westminster, Wales and EU level which:
- Positions the organisation as the most relevant and authoritative voice for the industry;
- Manages, informs and influences stakeholders on the main industry priorities;
- Provides a proactive and reactive media voice on both priority and breaking issues;
Develops and delivers programme of public and stakeholder engagement on:
- Industrial strategy;
- Health and wellbeing mission.
- Supports FDF engagement in Brussels.
Communications Planning and Delivery
- To develop and deliver a co-ordinated stakeholder engagement strategy for FDF by engaging members and their representatives so it has their support;
- To work with the Media Manager in delivering the strategy and consistent messaging on key priorities across the media and public affairs channels;
- Understand and manage key industry risks, ensuring FDF and members are kept abreast of Government developments;
- To contribute to raising the FDF’s profile and ensuring that members can see the added value;
- To work with Corporate Affairs Director to track FDF’s reputation and that of the wider industry.
- To drive and deliver effective stakeholder mapping, engagement and prioritisation;
- Representing FDF on external platforms and, as appropriate, in the media;
- To identify relevant engagement opportunities for the Director General and other senior members of FDF to raise their profiles and the profile of the organisation;
- To ensure that the client database is accurate and fit for stakeholder-management purposes.
- To oversee the work of the Media Manager and team members to ensure FDF’s position is well represented to the media at all times;
- To cultivate and manage relations with journalists with the aim of raising FDF and the industry’s profile;
- Ensure the media team provide a 24-hour on call media service for FDF, so we are able to communicate FDF's position to the media/public at all times.
- To maintain an effective FDF presence in Brussels, delivering communications outcomes and initiatives and working with FoodDrinkEurope;
- To lead FDF’s engagement with the European Commission and MEPs.
Events and Conferences
- To assist with the planning, logistics and delivery of public affairs events, including Parliamentary events and party conference programme;
- Supporting FDF’s Commercial agenda through media and public affairs input.
- To provide consultancy public affairs services for allied associations and other industry bodies subject to contracts/agreements.
Managing a high-performing team
- Managing the workflow and output of the Public Affairs and Media teams (6 people in total);
- Line managing 3 team members directly (Media Manager, Corporate Affairs Executive and Public Affairs Executive);
- Developing team members to achieve their full potential.
Corporate Affairs team
- To work across the Corporate Affairs team as required to support initiatives, campaigns and external events and to provide resource at busy times.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline;
- Successful track record in delivering public affairs and stakeholder engagement programmes;
- Experienced at influencing government in the UK at all levels and has detailed understanding of working of Westminster and Whitehall;
- Knowledge of interplay between Brussels institutions and the EU policymaking process;
- Experienced people manager, with proven track record of developing a high-performing team;
- Robust, self-confident, good interpersonal skills and able to work with people at all levels (including people in very senior positions);
- Good knowledge of key issues affecting the food and drink manufacturing and wider FMCG;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Good organisational skills with attention to detail;
- Able to work as part of a team and be prepared to support others;
- Able to work flexibly, multi-task, prioritise and have good time management skills;
- Competent in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
This role will involve the need to occasionally attend events at the weekend or in the evening.