The Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors is currently recruiting a new Policy and External Affairs Executive to join our busy policy team. The role is based primarily at the Institute’s policy office in Smith Square, Westminster, but with frequent visits to the Institute’s main head office in Clapham.
Our new Policy and External Affairs Executive will play an important role within the policy team. The job will entail leading and managing major policy research projects, drafting our responses to government and regulator consultations, writing policy briefings and reports, designing member surveys, writing speeches for our Chief Executive and President and associated presentations, as well as meeting with and engaging our external stakeholders. The post-holder will be reporting to and working very closely day to day with the Head of Policy & External Affairs, as well as working very closely with other senior colleagues, including our Chief Executive.
This is an exciting time to join the team at the Chartered IIA and a fantastic opportunity to make a positive impact, as we begin to further raise our profile and influence in the corporate governance arena.
Essential experience, knowledge and attributes
- Educated to degree level;
- Previous relevant experience, ideally in a public policy / external affairs role;
- Good knowledge of the government, regulatory and policy-making environment and processes;
- Experience of running and managing policy and/or research projects;
- The ability to demonstrate strategic and analytical thinking skills;
- High standard of attention to detail;
- IT skills (MS Office, desktop publishing) - ideally at least intermediate in Excel;
- Experience of contact database management.
Desirable experience, knowledge and attributes
- Knowledge of the internal audit profession / corporate governance;
- Knowledge/experience of writing and overseeing the production of public policy communications collateral such as policy briefings, responses to consultations and policy reports;
- Knowledge/experience of devising and coordinating public policy events / meetings;
- Speech-writing skills would also be helpful.
Key skills and personal qualities
- Highly organised and able to manage multiple work streams and projects;
- Exemplary writing skills;
- Can communicate effectively at all levels;
- Able to maintain and develop effective business relationships both externally and internally;
- Assimilates information quickly and accurately;
- Able to identify key trends and assess their potential implications for internal auditors.