The Whitehouse Consultancy is an issues led communications agency, specialising in public affairs, policy analysis, media relations and crises communications. We advise clients on how to effectively and positively engage with key the decision makers of Westminster, Whitehall, the Devolved Nations, Brussels and local government.
We are now recruiting for an experienced Political Consultant or Senior Consultant, depending on skills and experience. We are looking for a candidate who can quickly form relationships with clients, work with a good degree of independence and contribute enthusiastically to business development.
Parliamentary and agency experience would be a significant advantage, as would experience of lobbying and engagement on health policy.
Core responsibilities for both positions include:
- Developing effective public affairs strategies for clients;
- Autonomously managing client accounts and implementing public affairs strategies, directing the work of junior colleagues;
- Drafting or supervising written communications, briefings, research, policy reports, white papers, public policy position statements, responses to Select Committee inquires and departmental consultations;
- Attending meetings between clients and Parliamentarians and civil servants; carrying forward agreed action;
- Supporting media and PR activity alongside the PR team;
- Keeping up to date with issues in the sectors which affect your clients and Whitehouse as an agency;
- Supporting the Directors in driving forward new business activity, including drafting proposal papers and participating in pitch meetings, and taking forward Team Development Plans;
- Responsibility for profitability within your client cluster;
- Line management of Political Consultant and Associate Political Consultant team members.
- Educated to degree level;
- Experience in a political or public policy making role in a public affairs agency, in Westminster, Whitehall, a think-tank, NGO or in the private sector;
- Experience of independently managing clients or significant policy related projects and supervising team members;
- A good working knowledge of the policy making process and Parliamentary mechanisms in the UK, with demonstrable experience of applying this knowledge to achieve policy objectives. Additional knowledge of the devolved nations or the EU would be welcomed;
- The ability to digest complex information quickly and effectively;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- The ability to thrive as part of a small team and demonstrate leadership skills;
- Experience of presenting reports and presentations verbally and in writing;
- The ability to prioritise own workload.