Reporting to the Head of External Affairs at Stansted Airport, the post-holder will be responsible for helping to develop and implement high-impact influencing and stakeholder engagement programmes, primarily with political and business audiences to protect and enhance the airport’s reputation; and promote understanding of and support for the airport’s objectives and MAG’s strategic goals.
This role is for a 12 month period with a view to extend which will be based on business decision.
- To plan, coordinate and execute a stakeholder influencing/engagement programme for the airport’s senior team, including elected representatives, local authorities, airport consultative committee, business groups and the local community to promote understanding of and support for the airport’s objectives;
- To engage with a wide range of local and regional stakeholders, developing effective relationships and a detailed understanding of their key issues, with the objective of building a network of advocates and supporters for the airport;
- To research, develop and produce a variety of communication materials to support the successful delivery of the stakeholder engagement/influencing programme, including speeches, briefings, publications, fact sheets and press releases;
- To monitor Stansted’s political environment and relevant developments in public policy, and produce internal briefing material and discussion papers to ensure the airport maintains a clear position on key policy issues;
- To write or edit submissions to government, EU or regulator consultations and lead on all MP / Parish Council related correspondence;
- To coordinate the airport’s engagement with the Stansted Airport Consultative Committee and sub groups, including the preparation of papers and presentations;
- To manage and deliver a range of engagement events as part of Stansted’s influencing and engagement programme, including visits and tours by key stakeholders;
- To represent the airport on various external committees and forums;
- To develop and implement an airport awards strategy, securing national, international and trade recognition for achievements at the airport;
- To monitor, evaluate and report on the airport’s public affairs and stakeholder engagement activity and its effectiveness;
- Work with other members of the Stansted External Affairs team to develop effective media, social media and stakeholder awareness campaigns as required, and to support the delivery of the airport’s community relations and CSR strategy;
- Work closely with the MAG Corporate Affairs team to maintain a joined-up approach to influencing/engagement across local, regional and national stakeholders.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to lead, manage and motivate people;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including an ability to speak in public and produce high-quality written materials;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinker, with a good understanding of the UK political and policy development process at national, regional and local level;
- Experience of dealing with the media is desirable but not essential;
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines on complex issues;
- An ability to establish personal and professional credibility quickly with colleagues across the airport business and within M.A.G.;
- Ideas driven ‘can-do’ approach to complex issues;
- Diplomatic; team player;
- Knowledge of the aviation or transport sectors is desirable but not essential.
Key Contacts and Relationships
- MPs, Local Authorities and all local/regional political stakeholders;
- Corporates, business leaders, Chamber of Commerce and business membership bodies;
- Local community and community groups; other external stakeholders;
- Airport Consultative Committee;
- Airport CEO and Airport Leadership Team;
- Group Corporate Affairs Team;
- On-airport partners and the aviation industry bodies.