The Airspace Change Organising Group (ACOG) has been set up as part of the UK's Airspace Modernisation Strategy to coordinate and support the delivery of transformational airspace change across the UK. The airspace redesign is taking place in two parts of Southern England and in Northern England and Scotland. This area covers approx. 20 airports across the UK; commercial, military and general aviation; as well as the connecting upper airspace, which is the responsibility of NATS.
ACOG is recruiting for the role of an External Affairs Manager, on a 12-24 month Fixed Term Contract.
An exciting opportunity to create and deliver an external engagement and influencing strategy to build support and awareness of the airspace modernisation programme, and ACOG’s role in it.
Over the next few years this wil l require extensive engagement with politicians, airports and interested stakeholders including industry, environmental, passenger and business groups. The purpose of the role is to create constructive relationships with a variety of stakeholders, ensuring that the rationale for airspace change is understood, and supported. It will also contribute to the delivery of the wider communications strategy and campaign and ensure that messaging and engagement is co-ordinated amongst airspace sponsors.
- Working closely with the Head of Communications, develop and lead ACOG’s public affairs and parliamentary activity and create strategies to build awareness and support of political stakeholders for airspace modernisation. This will include working with the identified communications leads from industry and trade bodies and creating a coordinated engagement plan and messaging in support of the airspace change programme;
- Manage and lead the coordination and delivery of engagement plans with other key stakeholders from across the industry, government, business and interested groups/bodies;
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders on behalf of ACOG. Ensure that a range of views are informing the delivery of the airspace change programme and there is a network of advocates for it;
- Input into and support the wider communications strategy and campaign to raise public awareness of airspace modernisation;
- Develop and draft briefing materials for use with external stakeholders and where relevant, wider industry stakeholders;
- Day-to-day management of agencies appointed to assist with delivery of stakeholder engagement;
- Provide input, direction and secretariat to ACOG communications group.
Qualifications and Skills
- An effective communicator with experience in political and stakeholder engagement and the ability to develop strong, positive relationships;
- A good understanding of the political environment and a network of contacts within Government;
- Sound judgement, awareness of political sensitivities that may impact reputation and ability to recognise and advise on both tactical and strategic responses;
- Excellent written skills;
- Good understanding of UK aviation/airspace and how it operates (desirable, not essential).