When meeting us, you’ll quickly find out we are united in our belief that the best thing about the ABI is the people.
We’re hugely proud 100% of colleagues feel the ABI care about their health and wellbeing and 99% feel colleagues within their team respect each other. If that sounds like your kind of culture, read on to find out how you can join us.
We’re looking for a digitally-savvy communications professional to work on the front line of the ABI media team and to contribute to the wider comms function, generating proactive media coverage, managing reactive enquiries and representing the work of the ABI to its members and stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity to join a fast-paced, highly respected and award-winning media team which deals with the full breadth of national, regional and trade media, across print, online and broadcast, handling a wide range of issues that really matter both to consumers and the insurance and long-term savings industry.
Please note this is a 12 month maternity cover contract. Although it’s a full time role, we are open to applications from those who wish to work on a flexible and/or job share basis.
What’s the job?
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, your role will include:
- Proactively generating media opportunities for the ABI and maintaining good relationships with national, trade and broadcast media;
- Dealing with reactive enquiries, ensuring the ABI and insurance industry are portrayed as positively as possible in the media and to stakeholders;
- Tailoring articles, comment, press releases, social media content, speeches and briefings to a wide range of audiences;
- Advising senior colleagues on broadcast opportunities and help them prepare for them, acting as a respected ABI spokesperson yourself when required;
- Devising and implementing digital content ideas for the ABI’s website and across all our social media platforms;
- Monitoring relevant media coverage and analysing the success of our own activity.
Please note you will be required to participate in the out-of-hours rota (shared among the team), dealing with urgent media enquiries during evenings and weekends when necessary.
What skills do you need?
- Experience of working in PR, journalism or media relations – ideally in financial services;
- Ability to grasping technical and complex policy issues and turn these into clear messages which get traction with media;
- Experience of using digital and social media in a professional context, including content creation and a knowledge of social media analytics;
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to produce written work of a high quality;
- The ability to build productive professional relationships within the ABI, as well as with members, stakeholders and journalists.