Asahi Europe Limited is a subsidiary of Asahi Group Holdings Ltd, a global beverage and food company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, Japan. Employing some 2,000 people, the Woking headquartered business is the custodian for leading super premium beer, ale, craft lager and cider brands including; Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Grolsch, Asahi Super Dry, Meantime, Cornish Orchards and Fuller’s London Pride. Asahi Europe Limited leads eight world-class brewing and production facilities with commercial operations in the Netherlands, Italy, United Kingdom, France, USA and Canada, as well as a global distribution network that serves Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America.
This is an exciting time to join the team, with the Asahi business entering into a new phase of its journey in the UK and Europe, following Asahi Europe Ltd.’s acquisition of the Fuller’s drinks business in April 2019. The operational footprint in the UK has widened, bringing new brewing and distribution capabilities as well as an expanded portfolio - now including cask ales and ciders for the first time.
The business is now looking for a strong Corporate Affairs Manager to join the newly structured communications centre of excellence - a small team dedicated to integrated communications and engagement.
As an expert in public affairs, policy and corporate social responsibility you will help to drive an impactful CSR agenda, ensuring the company is responding to the evolving market and latest industry regulation. This will include managing engagement with key stakeholders at a national and regional level, encompassing areas including sustainability and community relations.
- Develop and manage key stakeholder relationships at an industry, regulatory and local level - including trade associations, governing bodies, business forums and community groups;
- Issues management experience, with the ability to implement robust procedures for internal guidance and external positioning;
- Play a key role in helping to shape Asahi’s sustainability programme - using insights to develop key content to engage and activate different audience groups, including employees;
- Develop and maintain Asahi’s responsible business practices such as product labelling, marketing content and activity. Implement a clear mandate internally by managing tools and routines, and coaching colleagues across functions;
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for community and charitable engagement/partnerships;
- Conduct detailed analysis of the regulatory and policy landscape - to report back to the business and make strategic recommendations to inform the business’s position and action;
- Integrate public affairs activity and insights within the wider communications strategy - creating and contributing to content for a wide range of audiences, internal and external, including customers and employees;
- Audit stakeholder landscape to ensure business has a presence within relevant industry groups, and at key strategic events;
- Manage budgets attached to industry memberships and stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrable experience and keen interest in the political agenda and regulatory landscape
- Gravitas and ability to hold your own in contributing to high-level industry discussion, representing the business externally
- Understanding of sustainable business practices and commercial responsibilities
- Experience working within the food & drink or FMCG industry
- Proven track record working within a complex corporate environment, responding to key issues and driving the public affairs agenda
- Assured self-starter and team-player - ability to manage own agenda whilst integrating within the broader corporate affairs programme and aligned to central business objectives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, adaptable to a variety of scenarios
- Understanding of alcohol industry regulation - experience working with or for a business operating in the beer, wines or spirits;
- A second language, preferably Italian or Japanese, would be advantageous;
- Experience working within an integrated stakeholder communications environment, helping to align public affairs, media relations and employee engagement;
- A strong grasp of social media and digital strategy - ability to incorporate content and channel management into corporate affairs activity.
On offer is a competitive basic salary plus generous benefits package, inclusive of;
- Daily lunch allowance;
- 28 crates of beer per annum;
- Annual bonus;
- Industry leading pension contribution;
- Life assurance;
- Dental insurance;
- 25 days’ (pro rata) holiday.