Lead the Centre’s public affairs work across the United Kingdom.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to celebrating and supporting diversity. We know we will thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds, and particularly welcome applications from people with experiences of homelessness.
IN A NUTSHELL:
We’re looking for a talented, creative and experienced Public Affairs Lead, to maintain and develop strong relationships with the UK Government and with governments, politicians, local authority leaders and decision-makers across the UK, and to support the Centre’s wider public and policy engagement work.
WHY IS THIS ROLE IMPORTANT FOR THE CENTRE’S WORK?
The Centre for Homelessness Impact is the UK’s What Works Centre for Homelessness. We want evidence to become the new normal in the homelessness sector, just as it is in public health and education and. We believe we are on the precipice of a new and decisive movement to end homelessness with evidence. We need an experienced public affairs professional to work with the team to engage key audiences across the UK.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN:
- Bring a deep understanding of politics and public affairs within the UK;
- Develop relationships across all four nations;
- Understand policies that impact on homelessness in the UK and engage with decision-makers at national and local level who influence these;
- Write briefing papers summarising research evidence and our project findings into clear, concise prose;
- Generate political support and engagement with our End It With Evidence campaign to use evidence and data to end homelessness for good.
THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND ENGAGEMENT LEAD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Developing and delivering effective public affairs and engagement strategies for governments, elected representatives and local authorities across the UK;
- Working closely with our Evidence and Implementation teams to get insights to inform our policy and public affairs work;
- Ensuring that the Centre is fully informed of and engaged with policy developments in all parts of the UK that impact on homelessness;
- Coordinating our End It With Evidence campaign, working with our campaign;
- Ambassadors to build support for using evidence to end homelessness and identifying and building relationships with new supporters.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND BEHAVIOURS
- Have a proven track record of public affairs engagement and policy in the UK and skills in identifying key stakeholders and delivering plans to influence them;
- Be skilled at tracking, analysing and synthesising policy, research evidence and data and understanding their relevance to our work;
- Have excellent in-person and written presentation skills to engage with a variety of audiences;
- Be able to manage competing priorities and be comfortable working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity;
- Be committed to the aims of the Centre and understand the importance of an evidence-led culture and the requirements of representing a charity.
Nice to Have:
- In-depth knowledge of homelessness and related policy areas;
- Knowledge or insights into politics or public affairs in Wales, Northern Ireland or Westminster;
- Relationships with organisations we work with to support our public affairs strategy.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Permanent. Full or part time.
Location: Flexible. Some travel required.
Start date: Immediately.