A vacancy has arisen within a renowned business lobby for a Senior Policy Advisor.
This is a high profile opportunity to develop public policy positions and lead on high profile campaigns that will focus on shaping the business environment for companies operating in London. Your responsibilities will include:
- Engaging with key policymakers including the Mayor of London, TfL and other bodies responsible for directing policy on enhancing London’s position as a world class city to do business;
- Identifying the key issues that influence the competitiveness of London businesses, developing targeted lobbying strategies in order to achieve maximum impact;
- Developing a depth of understanding of key stakeholder needs and ensure that they are principal considerations in the London policy debate;
- Ensuring that innovative and insightful policy information is developed when contributing to outputs such as the annual business survey;
- Drafting policy papers and respond to consultations on policy and legislative concerns;
- Developing close working relationships with policy colleagues in other trade associations and organisations the share similar policy concerns;
- Taking advantage of suitable media and social media opportunities to enhance the work of the team and organization.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will ideally have knowledge and experience of dealing with public policy issues facing the business community in London. However, a solid background in public policy/public affairs looking at general business policy concerns would indeed be suitable. In addition, the following knowledge, skills and experience are essential:
- A degree level education (or equivalent) in a relevant subject, a post-graduate qualification is desirable;
- Experience in public policy development, research and an in-depth understanding of Government institutions and practice;
- An understanding of the working of business;
- Lobbying and campaigning experience;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with the tact/diplomacy to deal with a variety of stakeholders (MPs, civil servants, business leaders) with competing priorities;
- A good political antenna with a clear understanding of how public policy can impact the business world.